Friday, January 25, 2008

Candidates Update

In giving my attention to the Republican Party Census Document, I realized I really haven't given much attention to the actual candidates. I happen to live in the state that has a young Republican governor, who built up a campaign "war chest" as they are now called, and has now announced that he won't be seeking re-election because he's accomplished all he set out to do. I have so many issues with that statement. Anyone that is under 40 and feels there is no more to do is either delusional or despondent. I guess, either way, it is time to take a break. I don't know what happens to the campaign funds. Actually his announcement just fuels my theory even more. Jeb Bush is laying low, politically, Matt Blunt is stepping down with no GOP candidate declared, and his Democrat opponent is already campaigning. Rudy, who has been at the top of the national polls for months is dropping dramatically and there is still no clear front runner in the Presidential race. My theory is still holding on through the headlines. The GOP wants to throw 2008 to the Democrats and let them self-destruct. I really believe this and it bothers me. It is clear when listening to Hillary or Obama, that neither of them care a thing about "we the people." They just want the power and prestige. Edwards would be good in many areas, but the other two have upstaged him. The GOP appears to be treating this entire election year like some sort of strategy in a chess game. When it was assumed that Hillary would have the Democratic nomination, Rudy was at the top of the polls and McCain was out of money, but as Obama has moved up, Rudy has declined and suddenly McCain is back in play. Something just doesn't wash in this deal. And what is Rudy's strategy? After he was in Missouri, he just dropped out of sight. Of course, Missouri is also where Gov. Blunt is and the state that elected a dead man for the Senate, making John Ashcroft available for Attorney General in President Bush's first term. Are all these things related? I don't know. Am I suggesting a conspiracy? Hardly, I always associate conspiracy with some sort of cover up, rather than just a method to gain control. Even if all these things are connected, it's simply political strategy. I truly believe the leading candidates have underestimated the intelligence of Americans, at least I hope they don't think we're all dumb. Obama speaks well, but says nothing. Hillary claims experience and to that I would say, if she's claiming White House experience, she's already had two terms. We remember 2000, McCain should also. Romney has been as much a flip-flopper as his own party accused John Kerry of being.
Back to Rudy, now. I truly think this Florida strategy was a bad one from the beginning. It made it very clear that numbers counted more than people. I mean he's not running for President of Florida. The fact that the other states did not have the high number of delegates and they were not winner take all, made me think he just really didn't care about the little guy, just the big numbers. Not a good way to win friends and influence people, when the rest of the candidates are out shaking hands, kissing babies, and slinging mud at each other. I've seen too much aim for big control and not enough "in touch with the people."
The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: a Proverb of Holy Scripture

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Liz,

Bill Maher said that in 100 years, Giuliani won't be remembered for anything (9/11, his mayorship of NYC) except being the man who lost Florida. He came into this campaign as frontrunner and chose to focus all his resources into Florida, it made no sense. Were the Florida voters not supposed to realize that he was losing badly in other states because he wasn't making a presence? I'm not 100 percent ready to count him out yet, but it'll be quite the miracle if he does win Florida.

Also, I don't know this politician personally who's stepping down because he feels he's done all he can, but I find that an admirable perspective that is very rarely exercised. Most of our public servants tend to make choices in terms of what will benefit them, rather than the people. They do this because they think of their jobs (be it in City Hall, Congress, the White House, etc.) as their careers. And therefore they get so far removed from the people that they serve. My ideal system would be one where regular working people serve their country in politics for a few years and then go back to their life's work.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I wish politicians would step down when they have accomplished their goal, or better yet, have accomplished the goals of the people that elected them. Interestingly this one built up a $10 mil. campaign fund before he decided to step down, and he's still in his 30's and his father is a Washington politician. If only, I could believe this was a self-less move, and not a poltical strategy for 2012.

Blog Archive