Monday, October 01, 2007

A Pet Peeve of Mine

I have, for some time, wanted to blog about disability in the United States, or rather, the vast number of individuals that feel they are too ill or infirm to earn a wage, but . . .
And I will cover that topic very soon, but today, I have a bone to pick with Dr. Bill Bennett. I noticed this last week when he had yet another "song contest." I can't even remember what the last one was, I think about Sandy Berger, when the Libby deal was going on, and this time it is focused on President Ahmadinejad. I would think the former Secretary of Education wouldn't be encouraging playground bully behavior, and it truly offends me. I don't understand why a teacher would play the diversion game between Berger and Libby, and I certainly don't understand why he wants his listeners to participate in such juvenile antics. I really thought he wanted to appeal to a more sophisticated or educated crowd than say Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly. Let's consider the facts for just a moment. Dr. Bill is on first thing in the morning, he's addressing the movers and the shakers. His target audience would be those with some place to be, I would think. I have always guessed his target audience to be members of the professional work force getting ready and driving, whereas Limbaugh and O'Reilly are on in the middle of the day, when their audience, is either supposed to be giving their attention to the responsibilities of employment, or don't have to worry about employment for one reason or another. I expect Limbaugh and O'Reilly to strive to keep their audience stirred about something, but I just expect Dr. Bill to appeal to our logic, and this "mean, ugly song contest" just reeks of rude immaturity. What would the Secretary of Education think of parents who teach their children to make up ugly songs about someone they don't like? What is going to happen when some child of one of these "lyricists" goes to school and repeats all that to a brown skinned child? Why would all the political influence in our country continue to feed the concept of rude Americans and continue to fuel the divisiveness between hatred and tolerance? Why does the anamosity of the conservatives have to be as outrageously illogical as the so-called tolerance of the liberals?
I really am not at all impressed by the name calling on Talk Radio and I find these juvenile "mean songs" just embarrassing.
A fool's lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive