Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Values Voters

Values voters scare me to death, but I guess when it comes right down to it, we are all values voters. So let's analyze, for a moment, some of the varied values on which people determine who will receive their vote. There is so much diverse extremism in our country right now, I just don't want the candidate of the voters that want to determine everyone's values to win! I have come to believe that the morality monitors and the gay rights people have made perfect political "bed fellows." They just feed off of each other's animosity and attention, and both groups are "core values voters" in that they just want their values in everyone's face! I find it interesting that Romney won the values voters. How do the conservative values voters know he will still feel the same way about life and choice after the next election? He's changed since the last one! And I though Brigham Young was famously noted for his disbelief regarding marriage between one man and only one woman! But for those that have their values on appearance, a Romney White House should be a clear and obvious choice. I, personally think the Romneys look like Ken and Barbie brought to life. Mrs. Romney looks great after five kids and battling MS. So maybe the conservative values voters would like a big gorgeous family in the White House. It's certainly been awhile. Rudy is at the bottom of the list because of his leanings toward the rights of the other end of the spectrum of values voters. Rudy is pro-choice and gay rights, and frankly those people don't need to be in my face either, but I don't like Rudy's war plans. My voting values tend to lean toward the candidate that remembers the foundation of freedom. I am a deeply religious person, but the religious right don't agree with my beliefs, and I certainly don't want theirs. I'd be glad to share mine, but I want the freedom to believe as I choose and others to choose their beliefs. I don't want to hear anymore about the details of partial birth abortion, because the entire argument has been overdramatized, and by the same token, I don't want to hear that pre-born babies don't have any rights. The same pro-choice people will protect some spotted owl egg or pregnant predator on the endangered species list, so that just makes no sense either. Moral or a-moral values voters just make no sense in a constitutional republic that espouses freedom. Actually, the laws shouldn't make any difference for those that feel strongly about living according to their conscience.
The integrity of the upright shall guide them: but the perverseness of transgressors shall destroy them. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive