Friday, October 26, 2007

Politics, the Cloak of Prejudice

After hearing a new voice on talk radio last night, I turned it off. There is just so much I can take. I heard a gentleman, and I'm using that term graciously, named Richard Roberts. He was speaking about the fires in California, and against the ideology of the liberals. He was also comparing the helplessness of New Orleans through Katrina, to the capable do it yourself attitude of those in California. He even commented on how Biloxi was in the same "boat" if you will as New Orleans, but Biloxi helped themselves and didn't keep crying for more. And up until there, he had me listening and interested, because although I don't think the liberals have ruined everything in America, I had found the citizens of Biloxi and those in the fires to be heroic. When Katrina hit, my husband and I purposely sent our donations specifically to Biloxi, as they weren't whining in the news every 30 minutes for days and months. I didn't read that the mayor of Biloxi told the President that the federal government was doing enough.
But back to my present rant.
After Mr. Roberts told us how much he knew and how involved he was, he began taking calls. A gentleman called and simply stated the fires were still blazing and this pundit became outrageously rude and offensive. I couldn't believe the way he spoke with the gentleman that had called and the names that he called the man. That was when I had had enough and began to realize, we may call it red vs. blue, but this disdain and contempt for the opposite colors truly covers a myriad of social issues. Red and Blue divide our country in most stereotypical ways. We already know that black or Jewish republicans are the general exception. We know that most democrats are working class or government subsidized. Red is corporate, blue is the color of the collar. Red is usually associated with more material assets, while blue frequently is associated with paycheck to paycheck, or some sort of check. There are many more divided issues that are clearly associated with these colors and parties. I think what I have noticed the most, though; in this time of political correctness and tolerance is this. Although discrimination is frowned upon and frequently forbidden in most social issues, it's still okay for red to hate blue and blue to hate red. And that covers a multitude of prejudices.
Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive