Friday, February 29, 2008

Catch Up Day

Every four years, we have an extra day on the Gregorian calendar.  I try to make a point of taking note of that fact and doing something above the usual day's requirements.  I try to make good use of the extra 24 hours in a given year.  Every two or three years there is an entire extra month on the Biblical calendar, and it just happens to be the month of my birth and anniversary, so I personally believe that calls for me to celebrate doubly.  Both are referred to as Leap Year, and this year, both calendars are in a Leap Year.  So, I am just terribly time aware, and becoming very aware of the signs of the time.  I'm going to dedicate this, my 400th blog entry, to a couple of concerns I have with our President.  I've really been ignoring him, of late, because there are just so many people saying and doing outlandish things, that simply must addressed.  But yesterday, he made a couple of comments that really gave rise to concern.
When asked about the price of gasoline going up to $4.00 a gallon, he said he hadn't heard about that . . .
In all this economic woe, he continues to say we have a strong economy and he doesn't see a recession coming, only a slowdown . . .
I looked up recession on WordWeb.  WordWeb's first definition was:  when the state of the economy declines.  Widespread decline in the GDP, employment, and trade lasting from six months to a year.  According to my calculations, we are there.  Most assuredly, we passed Mr. President's "slowdown" well over six months ago.
The last definition listed for recession was the act of becoming more distant . . .  
Which brings me to my "Catch Up" questions for Mr. Bush.
Mr. President,  
Where have you been that you hadn't heard about the price of gasoline heading to $4.00 a gallon?  And what do you think is the difference between a slowdown and a recession?  Are you aware that the economic crisis that ushered in the administration in which your father was VP was not nearly as bad as this?
Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; . . . New Testament

No comments:

Blog Archive