Sunday, February 10, 2008

Blogging for the Record

The night began in a usual way.  We finished dinner about 11:30 pm and headed to bed around midnight.  The bizarreness began about four hours later.  We awoke to the phone ringing at 4 am.  Lets face it, when the ringing of the phone awakens someone and it's still dark, the first thoughts through the mind are not good ones.  So the ominous dread of potentially bad news was bouncing through my blurry brain on the way to the phone.  I answered
the phone to hear some idiot blathering obscenities.  I hung up the phone, problem solved and headed back to bed, when it rang again.  As you have probably guessed, it was the same individual.  I was about to hang up, when something unusual happened.  Someone claiming to be his mother got on the phone and apologized to me, and so I said all right and hung up the phone.  Now, here is where it begins to get bizarre.  The phone rang again and it was the woman, now making the same obscene comments that the young man had been making.  My thought was that probably someone had overcooked their meth, but I simply stated they had the wrong number and hung up.  By this time my husband was just a tad past anoid, so I suggested we just let the answering machine pick up.  If it was this "wrong number" they'd hang up and if it was somebody that was truly trying to reach us, we could call them back, knowing they were awake.  Now, here's where the Bizarreness needs a capital B.  Not only did these freaks leave an obscene message on the answering machine, but contained in that message was a threat on the president of the United States.  Admittedly, I'm no big fan, but I would never wish harm to come upon him, so I listened to the message and told my husband things were just too weird.  In all probability this was just a local bad party gone really bad, but there were two flip sides to my concern.   With cell phones and all that, there really is no "long distance" any more, and 
these individuals obviously had the wrong number, and the headlines are just freaky every day, so what was the true potential?  Then the other flip side to my paranoia was truly paranoia.  Since my blog is political and my books are of a religious nature, but outside of mainstream, and our government has warrantless wiretapping . . . you get the picture of the thoughts racing through my sleepy brain at the time.  So, I decided to call the sheriff, just basically to cover my behind,  my potentially wiretapped behind.  I called and the deputy was very nice, but had to transfer me.  I then spoke 
someone that had her agenda of questions and didn't seem to hear a word I was saying, but she concluded her portion of the call with the statement, "she would have a deputy get in touch with me."  A deputy called and I told him I really wouldn't have bothered them over obscene phone calls, but the recorded threat just seemed to need attention.  I played the recorded message for him and his response was . . . something to the affect of "does this person usually talk this way?"  To which I responded, I don't know this person and this is our first night of corresponding.  He asked what number appeared on the caller ID or if it said blocked or anonymous, and I realized Caller ID is another part of our paranoid culture that, I have not yet partaken.  He then asked me if I'd tried *69.  I feel like such a reject of clandestine technology.  I told him if they called back, I would.  As I've learned in the past.  It's only the law abiding citizens that are being kept track of, the criminals pretty much do know their "rights" as we were told in the next phone call from this strange caller.  This time, my husband answered and although the call basically covered the same obscene information, and the same threat against the President, my 
husband told this individual to "keep talking."  It of course, got silent!  He then dialed *69, got the recording 
that the number could not be retrieved by that method.  Hung up called the sheriff's office back, went through all their transfers, made the report again and we were told to call the phone company on Monday if we wanted a tracer put on our phone.  No, we already have the FBI and the CIA and warrantless wiretapping.  I realize the threat was probably empty, but if the local law enforcement agency is going to presume these threats are empty, why do we need the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act to connect local information with national and what's the purpose of warrantless wiretapping if "we the people" have to pay the phone company to trace calls?
Also to punish the just is not good . . . a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive