Thursday, February 14, 2008

Telecommunications and FISA

The headlines are just gripping aren't they?  I've decided if the telecommunication companies receive legislative favor for immunity, I'm having my phone service disconnected.  I'm not going to jump in a hole and pull the hole in after me or anything like that, I'm just tired of supporting nonsense.  I'll go all INTERNET.  If American telecommunication companies need immunity regarding FISA legislation, something is wrong, seriously wrong.  FISA stands for Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which should not affect our local phone service, at all, and yet it does.  If the telecommunication companies are now going to serve as clandestine agents of espionage for our government, they need to realize "we the people" are domestic, not foreign, and not quite as ignorant as assumed.  I'm offended that we are told one more loss of privacy is for our protection.  I just flat do not believe it.  This is just one more way to control that much more of our economy and society.  When I use the internet, I realize my correspondence is public domain.  It is, after all, the world wide web.  
I realize when I press ENTER or SUBMIT or PUBLISH, I have given my consent for my words to be scrutinized by any and all that happen on to the sight in which they appear.  That's fair, it's upfront, I know going in.  It's like an old fashioned contract with modern technology.  This telecom business has gotten out of hand.  What used to be called a private line is now simply a plan and service.  I'm going to share just what I apparently agree to, to have my private conversations public at the whim of potentially paranoid politicians.
I have a notice that my rate increased from 10.00 . . .
Basic local service-residence               12.50
Mileage-outside base rate area             1.94
Surcharges and other fees                     8.34
Taxes                                                        1.77
For a GRAND TOTAL of                   $26.22  for a basic, bare bones plan of a private residential phone service.
It would seem, since our politicians want to make warrantless wiretapping on private telecommunications part of our nation's security, shouldn't all American cizitens receive their basic phone service as a patriotic war effort provided by the budget of the CIA and Homeland Security?
 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.  New Testament

No comments:

Blog Archive