Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Research Grants

I am not against learning.  I'm certainly not against studying.  As a person who is somewhat fiscally frugal, however; I am against the concept of providing the research funds to discover something that has already been stated.  I believe rediscovery ranks right up there in value, with reinventing the wheel.  From a Biblically historical perspective, I'm guessing the first research grant was awarded to some guy that gathered up a few camels and a couple of friends for a caravan and managed to talk one of the Pharaohs into providing the food and gems to trade for undiscovered spices and aromatic resins.  I would hazard the guess that nobody funded any weather research as an old guy built a huge boat and rounded up a zoo.  I'm guessing, although I haven't yet confirmed it, that Plato and Galileo had some sort of subsidy as they searched and sought beyond the recognized facts.  Moving right along in history, we all read about the era of the explorers, which were also a group of researchers that were funded.  Various kings or queens would finance an 
expedition in hopes of gaining greater kingdoms.  I remember thinking of Isabella and Columbus 
when I found a most interesting Scripture in the book of Isaiah.   I realize many people believe the
Bible is open to debate and interpretation, but my point is the fact that this particular passage was 
included as the recognized Scripture cannonized by the Catholic Church, which I believe was supposed to have been of great influence in the lives of both Isabella and Columbus, whom I think the church still refer to as St. Christopher.  So, after much persistance on his part, she finally financed his exploration, which was truly a research grant of that era.  These two devout Catholics only had to read the Bible to discover what Christopher Columbus set out to prove with Queen Isabella's funding.   Isaiah 40:22 says the earth is round!     
   "It is He that sitteth upon the circle of the earth . . ."  
This morning I read the headline that science has once again determined a truth we must know, and I have no idea the cost of funding the research for this conclusion, but I do know I have read before, the gist of the lead paragraph.  And I know where I read it.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,332429,00.html
   >Scientist have nailed down how and when the Earth will cease to exist.
The sun will slowly expand into a red giant, pushing the Earth farther out into space, but not far enough.
Our home planet will be snagged by the sun's outer atmosphere, gradually plunging to its doom inside the fiery stellar furnace.<
And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.  Revelation 16: 8
I would be happy to research some of these matters, and I am willing to do it for much less than the average grant used to fund this research to rediscover what G~D has already written.
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.  Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive