Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Facing Reality . . .

I have accepted the fact that there may never be a libertarian candidate that can win a Presidential election. Does anyone run for office any more that even hints at less government? Less government is my core issue, and I realize that may keep me in the minority, but . . . I wondered about the comments Dole made about McCain. Isn't the biggest problem the extreme conservatives have with McCain is his disinterest in totalitarianism? The more I read about the other candidates and the more I read from the comments from their supporters, the better McCain looks. I'll admit it, I'm at the threshold of 50 and I've never voted republican. I'm just at the point of exhaustion, realizing the more a government promises, the bigger the government gets. Bigger government, costs more and the people have less. Hillary and Barack have already promised us more care. I don't want to be cared for by the government. Since there is not a candidate that will unite the United States of America, is there simply one who will quit playing the division games. After listening to the Senate stall the tax rebates, I'm thinking maybe a moderate Republican unsupported by his own party, in the White House with a Democratic Congress might be good for awhile. Seems gridlock would at least slow the spending and government growth. I read what McCain said about limiting spending when he opposed the first Bush tax cuts, and the results are now self-evident. A leader without full party support and blank checks and rubber stamps in Congress might at least slow down the perpetual motion of insane spending.
I may not agree with everything he does or everything he says, but in the choices we've been given, he's as bipartisan as it gets.  Of course, that's only important if the concept of United ever fits back into the vision of this country.  
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! a Psalm of Holy Scripture

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Liz,

Have you heard of Ron Paul? He's running for president, and he's as libertarian as one can probably get. He isn't going to win though :(

I didn't think of your scenario with a McCain presidency and a Democratic Congress. That'd be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Yes, I hav been following the campaign of Ron Paul and I know he does have some libertarian leaning. As a matter of fact, he ran as a libertarian in, I think, 1988. I guess I am just not sure about his actual stance, since he changed parties. I'm don't know how much is talk and how much is reality. I am of the opinion, especially this year, if he'd have run on the libertarian ticket, he'd be doing much better than he is. I'd truly like a candidate who could unite this country on his stable convictions of the idea of a smaller government, for the people, by the people, and of the people, not over the people.
Maybe we should start an internet grassroots campaign.

Blog Archive