Monday, February 11, 2008

Come On Now, Huckabee . . .

Imagine my shock and surprise when I read that Huckabee was challenging and/or contesting the results in Washington. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I mean it's only caucuses and primaries. Huckabee knows he needs just about every delegate vote from every state that's left and he also knows the odds are slim. Oh, I know, he didn't major in math, he majored in miracles. Well, that's catchy, but I've yet to see a political miracle. I'm not saying that G~D can't do it, I've just never seen one or read about one in Scripture. As a matter of fact, I don't recall reading about any "elections" in Scripture . . . But to get back to Huckabee's challenge. I remember, as a matter of fact; some of the conservative base still discuss how disgusted they were that Al Gore challenged the Florida election results. That was the national election and clearly down to the wire by just a few hundred votes, and the neocons still felt it was inappropriate for him to contest and not concede.
I haven't heard how Huckabee's followers are spinning this to be respectable and acceptable, but I'm sure since the shoe is now on the right foot, it is somehow, correct. I've always found the double standard of the conservatives to be a curious thing. When something is done by the liberal left, it's absolutely deplorable, yet a similar action by the conservative right, as always, is right!
Huckabee inspired my idealism in America, that a man did not have to raise millions of dollars to campaign for president. It's nice to know, someone can rise out of relative obscurity and be a serious contender for the White House. Romney also inspired me as a wealthy man, that he made the fiscally responsible decision to not continue investing in what appeared to be failing. I would sure like someone that thinks like he does, sitting in the White House, planning the federal budget.
Now, when it gets to their other views, I have some reservations. Huckabee has made some comments with religious inferrence and to be honest, I'm not very encouraged in that. I admire his openness regarding his beliefs, but I don't agree with his beliefs.
I tried the Southern Baptist beliefs for a few years when I was a kid, and I didn't really identify with that 4-5 hours a week, when I was trying to. I don't want to live under them, 24/7. I left that belief system years, several years ago, and I'm not interested in Mr. Huckabee's beliefs becoming law in this country.
. . . for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience? New Testament

No comments:

Blog Archive