Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Secure or Scare ?

Since we now know, all the terrorists cannot be stopped and they will always have another country to move the weapons of mass destruction and it is only a matter of time . . . At least that is what we are continuously told. And you know, I have no reason to doubt any of this, but I also have no reason to live under the constant torture of the threat of terrorism. Isn't that what the bad guys wanted; to change our culture? So why are we changing our culture and calling it winning the war on terrorism? Something may happen again, according to Scripture there is only one cataclysmic event that will never be repeated, so we don't need an "Ark Construction Department." I have many questions since reading the 9/11 Commission Report. As a matter of fact, what I have read of it, reads very similarly to the Report by the Warren Commission. Now, this is usually the time my mother accuses me of anarchy, well she's my mom, and she really thinks I take "fear" lightly. She's always afraid, I will open my mouth to those in power and get myself in trouble, and yet she supports these powers and thinks they are defending our freedom??? Actually, I don't take fear lightly at all, I believe it to be a lack of faith. I remember the power of fear when I was a kid, as most of us do. When I was a kid and wanted to go ride my bike in the road or walk somewhere, I would inveriably hear a horror story about somebody getting hit by a car or kidnapped and killed, whatever would work as a deterrent to my request. And those things are awful things that do happen, but . . . And now the President is doing the same thing with terrorists. Only, now that I am an adult, I have two added variables. One, I am a tax-paying citizen, so I am entitled to the pursuit of happiness and the free speech that I pay for. The other variable is a little mature wisdom also known as logic. As a logical person that has been listening to the news and spin for these past three and a half years, I have realized something. I recognize the "what if" and inevitability of the fear factor, in the outlook of the people that perpetuate living in fear. They first attempt to convince you that you don't know what's best for you, and sometimes that works on five year olds and I can tell you personally of one that it did not. Sadly, it appears to work and take hold best in mass hysteria, and add a little aggression with grief and an administration has itself a cause and staunch support. And once in awhile, when the fervor dies down, just remind the fearful crowd, "'They're planning and plotting against us. It could happen again. 'They' are just waiting for us to let our guard down. " But for those of us that have not bought into this "it could happen again,fear" we run the risk of eventually being the problem. Because at the controls of this runaway train is a leader that has already misquoted scripture and stated. "If you're not for us, you're against us." And yet, we are told this new Intelligence System, Homeland Security, and the Patriot Act have made things safer. So which is it? Are we safer and more secure and are all these systems in place to remind us to be scared?
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

No comments:

Blog Archive