Thursday, March 31, 2005

America's Life after Death

America lost something that will never be regained and I fear, gained advances toward destruction. Terri Schiavo died today, or rather was killed, while an entire nation stood by and watched. I am disgusted by that fact and I still don't know what, if anything I could or should have done. But, even though this was Terri's last day, I know there will be many more "Terris." Now that we know, our politicians are "powerless" and so many lawyers corrupt, and who knows how many judges without compassion, where will America stop? And once again, doctors are considered "supreme" regarding life. I have truly wanted to stay out of this situation. I am absolutely against withholding food and water from anyone, but I am also against medical intrusion and adamantly against governmental invasion. I can tell you from the bottom of my heart, I would not want to live the way she was living. Now, before all the pro-lifer's go off the deep end, I am not talking about euthanasia, nor suicide, for I believe that is murder. But I can't tell you the number of times I heard people say that life is in G~d's hand, and I whole-heartedly believe that, but it's rare to hear someone say life is in G~d's hand, when emergency resuscitation is taking place. I believe, once man has intervened, the "life in G~d's hand" stand is no longer possible. But that is up to each of us to determine with G~d and our families, preferably before we are faced with the tragedy.
I believe what has so gripped me; is the woman only needed food and water. It wasn't like she was on every machine made and tubes and hoses everywhere. I don't know how much she comprehended, NO ONE does! I had an aunt that had the same tube Terri did and she lived and drove and participated in life. There were a number of things Terri couldn't do for herself, but it turns out, there were things able bodied people could also not do for Terri. So, perhaps her disability was not the issue at all. I know it isn't for me. The woman was killed, quality of life, not withstanding. The entire nation knew of this circumstance and most had an opinion of this circumstance. We all acted and many felt as though they were involved, and we were. Sadly, those in favor of life, even those saying they favored life, or those deciding on the presumption of life, were ineffective. In a word: FAILED. How can a nation that has elected so many pro-life politicians have so much death going on? Abortions continue, there have been two wars declared, we are setting new records and legislation for death row. And now, while everyone tuned into the news, regularly, America has killed an innocent disabled woman. There are no innocent bystanders and there are no political heros. Today, we watched the results of a nation that has chosen death, rather than life. We have undoubtedly passed the point of no return.
you will die by what you kill others by

No comments:

Blog Archive