Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Life, Death, Playing G~d, Etc.

The news has really rattled my cage today. And it's not that I think I have more insight, it's because I think we are all operating on minimal insight. I have read about two murder trials that have come to conclusion on the same day. I have read about men killing people in church and in court and I have been listening to and reading news reports regarding Terri Schiavo. What in the world is the matter with us? I am first going to discuss the ones that we really know who did it. The murders in the church and the court are both horrible, but leave no lingering doubt as to who is responsible. I don't know why either man made the choice they made to kill, nor why they made the decisions for themselves that they did. Honestly, I don't know why a man that was depressed and apparently suicidal, but religious, decided to take the lives of several others along with his own. Now the man in Atlanta that was going into court on a charge that already indicated violence toward women is another matter entirely. I really don't know why he turned himself in, and I certainly don't know why the Prosecutor would have any questions regarding the prosecution of this case, so it's really good I won't be on the jury.
Now to the next two men. One went free and the other was sentenced to death. In one case the prosecution had at least one witness that claimed to have been approached by the accused to commit murder. The other case provided what was termed a "mountain of circumstancial evidence." I was absolutely shocked months ago, before the trial even began, to find there was already a "made for TV" movie about the one case. Of course, it was pretty clear when the Connor law was signed by our President, most of America had already made up their mind. And when it came time for jury deliberation, jurors were removed from the one case and allowed to deliberate for days on the other. How much more evidence was there against Scott Peterson than against say, O.J.? And I am completely undecided on both cases, so this isn't a matter of right or wrong for me, just observation of inconsistency in matters of life and death. Which does bring me to the my next point. As I was reading the news regarding Scott Peterson, it was noted by the reporter that Mr. Peterson may very likely die of natural causes before the sentence is actually carried out. The article stated that the most recent execution was carried out twenty years after the person had been sentenced. Which is much longer than Terri Schiavo who has not committed a crime and did not have a trial, has been given.
And, to make this very clear where I am standing, I have a living will. Even though I do not seek medical advice, in the event, someone would call 911, I have orders on file. But, Terri does not and the decisions were already made years ago to resuscitate her and maintain her life whatever quality status that is. And a jury trial awarded her "guardian" a hefty sum of money to be used for her rehabilitation. And now, she is facing death by determination of the court?
Okay, I'm going to ask this one more time . . . What is the matter with us? What is wrong with this picture? Does all this make sense to anyone?
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

No comments:

Blog Archive