Wednesday, May 13, 2009

GM and Gasoline

I filled up our new Chevy Uplander today and gasoline has taken a jump, again. We paid $2.09 a gallon. Well, with the 9/10 of a cent that is always added, I guess we paid closer to $2.10. I checked GM today at the end of the day and discovered at about 10:00 this morning, I could have bought two shares of GM for what I paid for a gallon of gasoline today. Seems an odd reality, wouldn't you say? I've been watching this General Motors calamity for months now and there is just something inevitable and final on the horizon. I don't like it, but I'm afraid it's a fact. GM has been my favorite through the years. Oh, I liked AMC, also, but they've not been around for what, now, 25 years! I did a search about AMC and I found out they are the ones building military vehicles, so maybe the government has other plans for General Motors. At any rate, it seems so coincidental that here at the end of May, the gasoline prices will soar for the summer travel and GM is facing total restructuring under the government or collapse, called "bankruptcy protection." I, personally, don't see where the term "protection" applies. Oh, I know, it's so the stock holders and creditors can't go after their money, but if there isn't any, there simply isn't any.
I know automobile manufacturers have come and gone through the years in the US, but I really thought about buying some GM stock, just for a memento. I know GM won't survive a bankruptcy and come out stronger . . . and I just cringe to think about what GM will become if the government becomes a major stockholder.
Considering the cost of my gasoline purchase and the fact that it is contributing to the economy of another country, I just couldn't help but think about how much GM stock I could buy for that same amount of money.
YHVH shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow. Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive