Monday, January 26, 2009

Technology, Computers, and Such

I read about a potential Google plan that will render PCs obsolete! Wow, I'm just now getting the hang of my PC. That's what I really don't like about computer technology. Every new step, doesn't just "improve," it renders any past efforts obsolete. Progress is one thing, but technology doesn't always feel like progress, sometimes it feels like an elimination of options. I purchased a word processor in 1994, before that I had an electric typewriter. I felt pretty uptown, actually, when I went from a manual to an electric. And wow, did I feel high tech, when I got the word processor. I fiddled with that thing every evening after work until way into the night, learning how to appreciate my new technology. I, of course, was getting less writing done than on my electric typewriter, because I was learning how to operate this new and improved, better piece of writing equipment. Ultimately it was better. With a word processor, I had a typewriter and a file cabinet, on tiny little disks. You know, I never did get those disks organized, but I used that word processor for several years. I was still writing on it, when I got my first computer in 2001 and it used the 98SE operating system. Of course, that system would not recognize the dos from my word processor, and I was by then in my forties. Change was not quite as welcome as it had once been in my life. So, as I learned the computer, I continued writing on the word processor, until the day, the word processor died. It was a horribly sad day. Then when upgrading to another computer, the operating system was XP, which meant some of my software programs were not compatible with the newer system. So much progress, so much obsoleteness. And now the rumor is, Google may be offering us the hard drive in the sky? Called "cloud computing." Since man has come up with OnStar, GPS, and now "cloud computing," all unseen and inviting dependence, I just don't understand why so many people have such trouble with the concept of trusting the G~D in heaven.
Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that YHVH, HE is G~D in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else. Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive