Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Remember Congress, He Won

If the media is supposed to be so left leaning, I can't believe I keep hearing and reading about Obama informing Congress that "he won the mandate!" I can't decide if it sounds aggressive, ominous, or just plain childish, but I don't think it puts him in such good light. It doesn't in my book, anyway. I remember when President Bush told us he was the "decider." Now as to this stimulus package, please. It is exactly like the last one, only the recipients are the opposite political party. Bush's stimulus went to the banks and Wall Street, and this one will go to the not for profit special interest groups. None of the accumulative total of $1.5 trillion will go to the people. Oh, that's right both sides of the aisle have given us tax breaks! Give me a break. You know, if either party gave a true whit about the people, all of Congress would be working for a $1.00 this year, like they demanded of the car industry, and both Presidents would have figured out a way to give this stimulus directly to the people, not both ends of the political spectrum! My husband just called about CD rates and you know, they are lower than tanked, but the banks got their BailOut. I'm not given to cussing, and I don't appreciate vulgarity, but every time I see that ridiculous acronym TARP, I see it backwards. The second definition of WordWeb pretty much covers it. Now, that President Obama has WON, will his fan club be satisfied to go get charity and assistance from all the special interest groups that will be eligible for his BailOut? I have a simple idea, but then that's the problem. Our government doesn't want to simplify. There are approximately 200M adults over the age of 25. I'm using that number, simply because most parents are still subsidizing their children until that age, and under 25 already has the second most expendable cash in our society. I would have just said working age Americans, but the AARP lobby and the big money belongs to the seniors and they don't pass up any freebies. Remember they paid into it. So back to my idea as to how the Bush and Obama economic stimulus should have been dispersed properly to stimulate the economy, because they truly are one in the same plan.
If $1.5 trillion dollars were simply distributed to the American people to pay their debts and make their purchases, the entire economy just might get rolling again.
Each individual could be given $7,500 or married couples $15,000 and let them feed it back into the economy. The banks will get their mortgage money and the special interest groups will get some and who knows, maybe even the car companies. It would at least make this doomed monopoly game last a little longer and the people a little more cheerful.
. . . and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them. a Proverb

No comments:

Blog Archive