Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gitmo, Manhattan, and Plum Island

President Obama has signed an executive order that Gitmo will be closed within a year. I think President Obama is really going to make full use of his executive power, signing executive orders. I, personally, am expecting hundreds of them . . . but back to closing Gitmo. What will we do with 200 some people that the previous administration has labeled enemy combatants? I would say returning them to their country of origin sounds a bit precarious, if they truly are a problem. They already were able to become problems there. And if they aren't really problems, their native homeland doesn't want to hear what we expect them to do with these people, so . . . Now, pawning them off on other countries seems less than courteous and not a good plan for future allied relationships. So, here's my idea, and it would solve two bad ones at the same time. The animal disease laboratory on Plum Island is about to be relocated to Manhattan, Kansas. I, personally believe, this is one of the dumbest ideas our government has ever had, or one of the most diabolical. If it's a diabolical plan, then we're already finished, but if it's just a dumb one, it's not too late. My husband suggested that we move the disease lab to Gitmo, when it closed. That got my wheels turning. Not only could we move the disease lab to Gitmo, we could move the detainees to Plum Island or Manhattan. I know, I know, people don't want enemy combatants on the mainland, for what two reasons. One, they have to be treated according to the Constitution if they are actually on America soil!!! The other reason, I guess pertains to a fear factor. But considering we are about to place a disease laboratory which amounts to nothing more than a bacteria factory in the heart of ranch land and tornado ally, let's reconsider, here. An escaped combatant can be captured or even shot, but what do you do with blown away pathogens? There is no way to even know how many there are in a petri dish, much less recapture bacteria after some sort of calamity. I heard some lame Congressman from Kansas giving an interview explaining how safe this plan was. Well, I'm not buying it. I'd rather have 200 some people I can see and the law can count, in the neighboring state than countless pathogens that could cause the death and/or slaughter of all the livestock in the Midwest. And if the people are too afraid to have the combatants in Kansas, then why not refurbish Plum Island. I already heard in a news report that "they" are hoping to house the detainees in the northeastern US. See how simple this could be? But NO, we have to make a bigger mess, first!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth. the Revelation

No comments:

Blog Archive