Friday, January 23, 2009

The Political Machine Grinds On . . .

This is day three of a new Presidential era. So far, in everything I read, the major change appears to be that America now has a black president. And although that appears to be true, I was hoping we'd have a bit more depth to the change than only skin deep. I read Rowland Martin's article today, and it's about like most of his articles have been for the past year. It's all about an African-American President and possibilities. And of course, we've had Hillary and Sarah in the news for months, well Hillary for years, but women, we've gotten to hear all about the "glass ceiling." You know what I'm starting to notice about America. Everyone has promise of opportunity except white guys around 50, and they never did! The previous generations received all the perks that our culture could afford and the older boomers made some noise, but ultimately sat back and took what they could get, and as civil rights and women's rights continued to be in the forefront of shaping our culture and society, the white guys came to realize they could pay taxes, child support, and life insurance premiums, and the opportunities were going to be offered to those that would ensure the pendulum was swinging the other way and it was going to swing quite wide the other way, before it ever crossed the middle again, if it ever does. I don't feel that I know much about our new President, but I just have a real problem with Barack H. Obama promising all sorts of immediate change and winning a cult like following that has no idea the executive orders are getting cranked out as fast as the last president signed them . . . change? If he's just going to be not white and not Bush, I guess that's change, but that isn't the change I was hoping for. There have been a number of historical comparisons, but mesmerizing crowds doesn't rank very high in my book, historically speaking. And as for Sarah as she tries to ramp up her support, I just can't deal with the idea of a first family in which a man that is a grandpa refers to himself as "the first dude." Just too much! Way over the top. I enjoyed reading about Michelle Obama's family and I think Malia and Sasha are adorable. I have grandchildren that are just a year younger than each of them, and I think it's nice for my grandchildren's generation to see children in the White House. So, there's a change. If the only change we are going to get is superficial, I truly hope it is more about youth than race. I can relate to what Michelle said, early on in the campaign. If, for once, our country actually involves the youth and sees and nurtures respectable promise in young adults, that will be something most of my generation never experienced, personally. I'm wary and not too optimistic at this point, but that would be change and an America to be proud of.
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. a Psalm of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive