Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My View on What's Wrong with Wright . . .

As a person whose religion is Messianic Judaism, also known as Biblical Judaism, I have been particularly fascinated to listen to two Jewish commentators, Mark Levin and Alan Colmes, discuss the comments made by Obama's former pastor, Rev. Wright. I've also read that Rev. Wright's retirement was a bit figurative in nature. It sounds like he's "preaching" several days a week now, in interviews. I don't particularly embrace his style of statement, but I can't completely disagree with some of what he says. I do think America is unpleasing to G~D, but I don't think it's a race issue. I remember when Jerry Falwell made his statement about 9/11 being caused by the sin of America. He specified the problem to be the gay community. Well, when Jerry Falwell was called on the carpet about that statement, did he hide behind the entire white heterosexual community? No, it was just one more comment out of Jerry Falwell. I've heard certain supporters of the Pro-life movement comment that 9/11 was judgment regarding abortion. That doesn't make me blame every pro-choice person or think that one pro-life speaker, speaks for all. And that's been my problem with Rev. Jeremiah Wright. If he truly believes G~D told him to say those things, then why is he trying to hide behind the entire Black Church? I, personally, don't think he is speaking for the entire Black Church, and apparently Barrack Obama agrees with me, as he's distanced himself from some of the statements made by Wright. Why did Jeremiah Wright make this a race issue? As a matter of fact, Rev. Wright has caused me to agree with Hillary, which is something I rarely do. I wouldn't have stayed in church or synagogue under that sort of teaching and presence, regardless of tradition and sentiment. He's also said to have mentioned AIDS was a government made disease against the black community. Rev. Wright, you are so wrong. I have wondered if the government didn't do a little fancy lab work and come up with AIDS, but if so, the demographics clearly indicate it's "target" group/s to be the gay community and needle drug users. If that still connects as a racial issue to Rev. Wright, then maybe his sermon topics need to address those vulnerabilities.
As a minister that speaks outside of the mainstream paradigm, I must say of Rev. Wright, we have to take responsibility for what you say. I do, Jerry Falwell did, and that's just about accountability, which has been one of Rev. Wright's pet peeves. There is not a person alive today that owned a slave or was a slave, just like there are no Indians alive today that actually lost their land in a bad trade or watched the buffalo disappear. It's over, we must move on. Now, as to whether or not 9/11 was judgment, I think it was a call to repentance, which we, as a nation, impolitely refused. We chose war, the wrong one, at that. Will we be judged for that? Of course we will. Is it a race issue? I guess it can become one, if ministers exalt warmongering and hate mongering along racial lines and encourage their youth departments to revere leaders of militant organizations . . .
And so, to quote Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof, in regard to Mark and Alan, he's right and he's right. Mark says Rev. Wright is teaching racial hatred. Alan says Rev. Wright is stating that G~D may not be pleased with America.
And where we are all wrong is the fact that Rev. Jeremiah Wright has been the topic of their shows for two days and the topic of my blog today and has already gotten entirely too much attention, which he obviously enjoys.
Every prudent man dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open his folly. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive