Friday, April 25, 2008

Al Sharpton Has Said It Well

I'm not usually one to mince words, especially in comment regarding someone else that doesn't mince words. I've mentioned Al Sharpton in negative light at this sight before, but I also want to give credit where credit is due. Frankly, I'm a bit shocked to be saying this, but Al Sharpton made a very poignant remark that bears repeating in every genre of media, including this blog. Here is his quote from CNN. "What we saw in court today was not a miscarriage of justice," the Rev. Al Sharpton said on his radio program.
"Justice didn't miscarry," he said. "This was an abortion of justice. Justice was aborted."

His words were in reference to the death of an unarmed young man at the hands of three New York City Cops. This young man had no record, had a promising future, and was leaving his bachelor party, his wedding would be taking place later that afternoon, but . . .
I realize there are many ways that people will choose to look at this. Clearly the judge didn't look at this situation the way I, or Al Sharpton did. I don't think I truly have Al's view, either, though. Already, the word "racist" has been used because the young man that died was black. I believe two of the officers were, as well, so I'm not sure that it could be described as a clear racial issue.
Others would say, the company he was keeping put him in this situation. His two friends did have a record with the police, although at 4 in the morning in a city the size of New York, I'm having trouble believing they would have simply been recognized . . .
Don't forget here, there were 50 rounds of ammo fired, all by the cops, and the cops were in plain clothes. It was a horrible bloody scene, only to find the young man that was dead was simply going for cover, not a gun.
I have thought about this, as it happened nearly two years ago and has just now come to "trial." If I had a couple of friends that had a reputation of being a bit on the wild side and suddenly three guys were shooting at us, I'd run for cover and assume the three that were shooting had some sort of vendetta against one of the people I was with. We'll never know what went through Sean Bell's mind in those horrible last moments or seconds of his life.
Since those three police officers have been found innocent of any wrong doing, that tells me, it is perfectly within the bounds of law enforcement to riddle a human body with 50 bullets in the assumption the person could be armed. I find that sort of law enforcement to be more frightening than potential crime.
This decision now tells us what law enforcement can legally do to the citizens. If this is what it is to be lawfully protected and what our judges deem to be proper law enforcement, then to quote Al Sharpton. "Justice truly has been aborted."
Wherefore their way shall be unto them as slippery ways in the darkness: they shall be driven on, and fall therein: a Prophet of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive