Friday, May 02, 2008

The Fine Line

It's been said that there is a fine line between genius and insanity, so I'm guessing the same could be said regarding brilliance and madness. I went to town yesterday and discovered the solution to the consumer spending slowdown, as it's called in the White House. You know, I don't know if it's sheer brilliance or diabolical madness, but raising prices raises consumer spending!!! And so, consumer spending was up last month, therefore our economic crunch is probably about to straighten out . . . or so "they" say. I'm at the point, I've looked and looked and I can honestly say, the fine line is blurred to the point most people are still willing to play. It's a funny thing, as long as someone feels they possess the insight to see the insanity, they will continue to participate as the insightful genius, in their own mind. We have the "open minded" liberals blaming the big corporations, and it is those large corporations that are signing the paychecks the liberals are cashing. And we have the neoconservatives blaming everything from "those terrorists" to the Carter years, and all the while they believe they have earned the right for their best interests to be financed by the tax base. So, ultimately, most every American is willing to suck up and bow down as long as they believe they possess the power to condemn the mess. The blurring of the fine line keeps most of the nation spending, as they fail to grasp the impending and inevitable demise of a consumer based economy, rather than a product based economy.
My daughter told me, at the gymnasium where my granddaughters are learning gymnastics, there is actually an installment plan for parents to purchase leotards for their kids. That one blew my mind! I guess, though, with a credit card, we've been able to buy non-essentials on the installment plan for years. Right now, people are complaining about prices, but I saw cars at the Starbuck's drive through and I'm going ahead a purchasing a few items for down the road, that aren't necessary at this moment, but my money is certainly not earning any interest and who knows when the prices will go up again, so if I'm going to need it within the next year, I'm buying it now. See, we are all still participating, but "we" are each continuing our consumerism for such superior and wise reasons. Ha!
It is bad, it is bad, saith the buyer; But when he is gone his way, then he boasteth. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive