Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Weather

I surveyed damage today near our home. We were just outside the path of the tornado that ripped through Oklahoma and Southern Missouri. As I looked, I felt heart sick. As we drove around looking at the devastation, the general consensus in the car was that weather is just so much more harsh than it used to be. I don't know that to be the case, but I couldn't help but wonder about a few things . . .
I've read a few articles about science trying to control weather and the fact that the "research" is actively being done and the attempt to control the weather is being made. It could be the meddling of humanity is what is causing the harsher weather. To that I would say, I think we'd best leave the weather to G~D!
I've also wondered just how many more warnings our nation is going to get. I know there are people that were innocent and undeserving, hardworking people wiped out in a moment of time, but I also know we are a nation of dependence upon government provision and faith in insurance and I don't think that's going over so well, with our Maker.
In many nations, when weather is uncooperative, the people observe religious ceremony or seek religious answers. Regardless of the beliefs, many cultures in other parts of the world believe that inclement weather is a sign that their Deity is angry. Yet we don't seem to even consider religion, beliefs, or behavior as a factor in the weather conditions.
Whether it's snowfall in the north or hurricanes on the coast, tornadoes in the midland, floods, or drought, I've heard reporter after reporter use the term to describe a weather catastrophe "In Biblical Proportion." Perhaps, before the next catastrophe; now, is the time to seek the G~D of Biblical Proportion.
Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep. So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy G~d, if so be that G~d will think upon us, that we perish not. a Prophet of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive