Tuesday, May 06, 2008

What's Happened to the Good Will?

I realize what with wars and rumors of wars and political spin and increased "consumer costs" and gasoline gouging and road rage and the myriad of miseries we read about daily, it's hard to even expect anything more than just keeping our head above water until the next whatever we're waiting on to make the improvement . . .
Meanwhile, I've noticed a strange occurrence at the Good Will thrift stores. I had no idea how much, inflation would affect charity! Is it a matter of supply and demand? I'm wondering. I became an avid Thrift Store shopper in the mid eighties. It all started right after a messy divorce, when I went on a diet and needed work clothes in a smaller size, but was trying to get back on my feet, financially and I didn't intend to stay that size very long long. I just wanted some "interim wear" so I stopped at a Thrift Store one afternoon. It was a great experience. I found some work clothes, found cute casual wear and all that for less than $5.00. It was then, that I decided, every time I met my weight goal, that would be my reward. It was a much better reward than my old methods of splurging when I reached a dieting milestone. And it worked. Rather than reward myself with a piece of cake for reaching my goal, I rewarded myself with a smaller sized outfit! And since the clothes were so cheap, I didn't feel the need to keep them, once I'd "undergrown" them. I just donated them back. I got good at this shopping, too. I actually had other people comment on my clothes and even a few asked me where I got such coordinated ensembles. Oh, did I mention, there are shoes there too? Well, now that I've waltzed us down memory lane, and realizing I've been a Thrift Store shopper since my mid-twenties, it's really been my lifestyle. I've taken friends "shopping," taught my daughter she could have twice as many casual outfits and still have spending money, and the great thing is I don't have a fortune invested in my wardrobe. I don't like to shop, so I wouldn't have the latest styles, anyway and I sure don't mind wearing a $2.00 dress. I can't sew that economically. But something has happened . . . The last time I went to the Good Will, it was as busy as the mall and the selection was quite limited and the prices were higher. I realize with this economy, more people will be shopping frugally and probably donations will decrease, as money gets tighter, but why in the world would the price go up when the merchandise is donated?
A man may be acting as if he had wealth, but have nothing; another may seem poor, but have great wealth. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive