Thursday, May 22, 2008

We've Had the Answer for Nearly 50 Years

I have discovered the answer to the price of gasoline and the economic disaster we are facing. I've said for years, that TV reveals the plan and sets the standard for the next generation . . . So way back in the early 60's, Uncle Jed told us what was to come.
I think everyone remembers "the Beverly Hillbillies." What I didn't remember, until last night was the message in the theme song. As I sat on our back deck, sipping a glass of wine with my husband and surveying our simple life, it occurred to me. Actually it hit me like a ton of bricks. the Ballad of Jed Clampett tells the story, lo these 40 s0me years later.

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed
Poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed
Then one day he was shooting for some food,
And up through the ground come a bubbling crude
(Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea)

Here's the latest verse . . .

Now let me tell you why the economy is dead
Why it can't be revived by Congress or the Fed,
Back in the 30's everyone headed to town
We've lived so high, there's no direction but down.
Oil replaced the gold standard, don't you see?

In order to "save" our nation in the 30's, the majority of the residents gave up a rural, agricultural lifestyle and "headed to town." The gold standard was dropped in 1935, but with all the transportation changes, from leaving the team in the barn to firing up the Sedan, we missed the incredibly obvious. I don't think President Johnson caught the theme in the Ballad of Jed Clampett, but when he dropped the silver standard, it was simple. Oil became the standard for the American dollar. Think about it. Even though America is "small potatoes" in oil production at this point, the barrels are still priced on the American dollar. What we refuse to accept, is the fact that the American dollar is based upon the price of oil. It's the new "gold standard," the black gold standard.
And when he had opened the third seal, I heard . . . Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say . . . and see thou hurt not the oil . . . the Revelation

No comments:

Blog Archive