Monday, March 31, 2008

Grocery Shopping

I've read two different articles and received unrelated e-mail, all addressing the high cost of grocery shopping. One article stated the average cost of groceries for a family of four for a month is over $900.00. Let us not forget that this same family of four is probably a two income household, meaning the price of getting to work and the store has nearly doubled in the last two years, also. My daughter has shared with me on more than one occasion that their grocery bill is getting astronomical and her three children eat lunch at school. Mom and Dad both work, don't pack a lunch and just to have dinner together and eat on week-ends, the grocery bill exceeds $150.00 per week. I haven't checked restaurant prices, but if food has gone up, I'm guessing the menu reflects that, not to mention driving to a restaurant is just one more time of starting the engine and draining a bit more gasoline out of the tank and out of the budget. I make our bread, we have chickens and I milk goats every day, so I'm not directly dealing with the high cost of eggs and milk; and until wheat skyrocketed, the flour was still fairly reasonable for baking. We raise our own vegetables and some fruit, so our trip to the store is basically for coffee, flour, and sugar. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a gourmet coffee creamer and citrus fruit. We buy paper products and cleaning products. Actually, baking and preserving supplies are going up, right along with everything else, but when I shop, I realize I'm getting out of there pretty inexpensively, by comparison and I've noticed the prices on just the few items we purchase. I used to be able to go to the market once a month, get what we needed and a bit of change from a $100.00 bill. Now, when I go, I'm spending the full $100.00 and breaking another one, with little to show for the increase. Technically, our food bill should include what I spend at the feed store, which is also increasing, regularly.
Our daughter mentioned that her family's trip to the grocery store came in, just under $300.00 and she said there were no cigarettes, no liquor, and she thanked us that there was no need to buy butter or eggs.
The only people that are receiving any relief in this are those on Social Security that automatically get their COLA. And they are the ones telling everyone else how to manage . . . I'll just leave that where it is, for now.
What are these young families going to do? How are they going to be able to provide proper nutrition for their children? I fear, there is another government program on the way to assist these young struggling families. The best thing the government could do to help these young families feed their children, is to quit making the young hardworking taxpayers feed this oversized, voracious government.
And the plenty shall not be known in the land by reason of that famine following; for it shall be very grievous. Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive