Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Remember When People Used to Say?

"Must be in the water." That was usually in reference to a significant number of pregnancies in any one area, group or organization. According to the AP, although drinking the water isn't truly linked with procreation, it is now host to a variety of pharmaceuticals. Interestingly, our government says our drinking water is safe. These pharmaceuticals are "not a problem, very low, trace amounts." I don't think "trace amount" would be an acceptable result to an employer, probation, or parole officer in a random UA drug test. I've done some work in third world countries and it was always a general practice to not drink water downstream from what was considered "public facilities." Where did we ever get the idea that adding a few chemicals made it not only safe, but a good idea to drink toilet water? This whole water treatment plant concept, is odd at best and potentially plaguing at worst. Water treatment is relatively new, historically. We seem to truly believe we can ignore a great deal of reality and still live better through chemistry. I remember, as a child, being told the river was too dirty to swim in. So, why is it okay to drink? Treatment and chemicals and special technology. Really, now? We basically realize now that most of these traces of pharmaceuticals are not found in the drinking water, because everyone is flushing their pills. Oh, no, that is not the case at all. I'm guessing most of these pharmaceuticals have been taken according to the prescription and doctor's orders. As I've researched this further, I've discovered that none of the water treatment plants routinely test for the presence of drugs or pharmaceuticals. What else do they not test for? I think I'd prefer taking my chances on the presence of lead or other minerals. At least that is natural. I'm going to get a bit graphic here, because I truly believe this has the potential to be a monumental health issue. Since water treatment plants seem to only be looking for the presence of excess minerals, bacteria, and chemical contaminants, I'm wondering if this fact has even been considered . . . Urine excreted from healthy kidneys is sterile! What test could possibly determine the difference between clean, safe, and sterile? And what additive could be contributed to purify, sterile? The fact that our "intelligence" hasn't killed us all yet, is due only to the mercy of G~D.
I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. a Psalm of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive