Friday, March 28, 2008

First Amendment Right?

I read a very sad news story this week about an eleven year old girl that died and in the midst of her family's grief, her death is being investigated, and her siblings have been questioned and examined. I've tried to follow everything I can about this case for several reasons. One, I'm praying for her family. Two, I want to know how invasive our government can be against our beliefs, and three, although my very adult husband did survive, I was faced with a family inquisition regarding my religious beliefs and his illness.
I am concerned on many levels how this turns out and how this family fares through this time of loss and grief. Yesterday's "fair and balanced" headline gave me quite a start. Police Investigating Family Who Prayed Rather Than Helping Gravely Ill Daughter http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,342249,00.html . I underlined the word "rather." How does a Christian nation consider prayer not helpful? How does something that calls itself fair and balanced, only cater to science based faith? What about those of us who do believe G~D heals? Will we all be ostracized criminals?
Having a child die, is a horrible sadness to parents, much less dealing with investigations, the other children's stability, and prejudicial headlines. What kind of heathen belief is being represented in this headline?
I remember when my husband got very sick. Now mind you, he's not a child, he was 56 at the time, and he didn't want to go to the doctor. Granted, he was introduced to Scriptural health after he met me, but I never pushed it or insisted upon it. Unlike the statement this little girl's family made, I do not believe in doctors, but I will take anyone that wants to go to one. And I'll visit someone or call when they are in the hospital. At any rate, I prayed and G~D told me he would not heal my husband according to my faith, and my husband was not getting better. I told him what G~D had told me, so in listening to all of my husband's reasons and excuses for this illness, I called his mother and asked the low-down. Before the end of the conversation, he promised her if he didn't get better, he'd see a doctor. I already knew what that meant. As those of us that walk by faith know, once you make back-up arrangements, if G~D doesn't . . . you're going to need those back up arrangements. I'm sure that's where this little girl's parents were, as well. They called family wanting prayer and got what I was faced with, when I made the call to take him to the hospital. He'd already promised his mother and as a Scriptural woman, I cannot spiritually lead my husband, so to the hospital he went. It was bad and I was told to call family, and so I did. It wasn't two hours later that my sister-in-law showed up acting like "someone had dropped a house on her sister" and then it got worse. Now, my husband did survive, and my faith was raked over the coals and my heart just breaks for these people who are faced with the overwhelming loss of their child and the stupidity of a religiously heathen belief system. These people have the right to choose their religion and religious expression according to the First Amendment. According to their beliefs, although they miss her, their daughter is now out of pain and either awaiting the resurrection or already perfect in paradise. Can anyone that would have offered "help" prove otherwise? And just who is it that will determine who gets to practice their beliefs and who has to bow down to the cultural norms? Who is it that will define freedom of religion and whose religion will we be required to acknowledge by law?
If it be so, our G~d whom we serve is able to deliver us . . . But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor bow down. a prophet of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive