Monday, March 10, 2008

Enough Politics for Now, There Are Other Things Happening

I have been a more than a tad cynical as of late and frankly, I'm sick of myself, so I decided it was time to lighten up. I'll address weightier matters tomorrow. I simply must share my latest idea in dealing with telemarketers. Hey, they are employed and I feel they don't deserve the rude treatment they receive from so many. On the other hand, some telemarketers are getting a bit rude in their own right and I don't appreciate being hung up on, when their call has interrupted my life. But, I refuse to get on the government's NO CALL list, because I'm just not sure what other lists, for which I would be making my information available. Besides I believe in free speech, even for people who make annoying phone calls through the dinner hour. So after a decade of chatting with them and nicely explaining that I'm not interested in their product, only to be told from another angle why I'd be an idiot to refuse their product, and now they've resorted to hanging up on me, I've changed my approach. Actually, this idea was inspired by the fact, I finally do want something a telemarketer has been offering, and now I haven't gotten any calls with that offer. My daughter wants to take our grandchildren to a theme park this summer and the prices are outrageous. I mentioned to her that we are about an hour away from Silver Dollar City and get promo offers all the time. The next time a promo is offered, I told her I'd check into it.
I'm getting to the point, now . . . The next morning a telemarketer called and my husband answered the phone. He has always admired my style with telemarketers and has attempted to emulate my method. I could tell by his answers, it was the siding and window schpeel. It was then, that my brilliant plan came. I told him to ask them if they had any special offers for Silver Dollar City. They said, "No, they didn't" and simply said "Good-bye."
My husband got off the phone just ecstatic. Remember, we don't have TV, this is our entertainment . . . Next offer for a cruise in the Bahamas and a trip to Disney World, not a chance. It's Silver Dollar City or bust!
A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth . . . a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive