Thursday, November 22, 2007

What If . . .

I'm not going to close this blog with Scripture today, because this is just my rambling, and I don't believe in using G~D's Word to justify my ranting.
Today, as most of America sits down to celebrate Thanksgiving, I've had some questions run through my mind. I don't celebrate the "Extreme Make-over of the New World."
I remember learning in school that the wild turkey was almost the "National Bird," rather than the bald eagle. So, if the decision had gone the other way, what would be the traditional Thanksgiving meal?
I've also been wondering as illegal immigration is in the news every day, how things would have been for those Mayflowerians at the shore. What if the Indians had turned them away, like the Haitians or Cubans have been denied and their boats turned away?
What would this country be like now, if the near genocide of the Native inhabitants had not occurred?
What would have happened if the "immigrants" would have been met with the same standard their descendants now expect of new immigrants? What language would someone have been expected to learn? Would a single language have been a huge issue? Europe's land mass isn't really larger than the US, yet there are many languages spoken there. We have a President that says he speaks "Texan." Why couldn't we have citizens that speak Montanan or Georgian, as well?
And speaking of a President and Texas; it was forty-four years ago today that President Kennedy died in Dallas. Which always raises a question in my mind. If the country had not bought into the magic bullet theory or unquestioningly received the report of the Warren Commission would this nation have become the fearful, undiscerning sheeple that it has?
Oh, I realize America has laws and authorities, and we are told to "love it or leave it" and all the rest of what has been established and come to be expected, but I was just wondering . . . What if the Native Americans had met the Mayflower with the rule of law, rather than compassion and sustenance?

No comments:

Blog Archive