Friday, November 16, 2007

More Math . . .

I wouldn't ordinarily blog about someone else's personal opinion or life and be specific as to who they are, but I'm making this exception. I'm very proud of my husband for being a true contributor to America and not changing his view, when his circumstances changed. Several years ago, knowing I had MS, I went ahead and applied, as a minister to be out of the Social Security system. Ministers can do this, based upon their religious beliefs that G~D rather than the government will provide for them, but there are two governmental stipulations. 1. Any income made outside of ministry is still taxable and 2. If this request is apprroved there is no collection of Social Security, regardless of payment in or need. Well, the powers that be, didn't approve my request, so I continued to have withholding and that's fine, because they left my option open as well. But, I made the decision based upon G~D, not the gov, so even though my withholding status didn't change, I have continued to stand on the belief that I would not collect Social Security. Although I must render unto Caesar, I do not have to receive. And I have covered this before in previous blogs. We do not pay in for ourselves to collect. We pay, for the ascending generation to collect, but originally it was only for those elderly, in need, but old people "have come along way, baby." Now, on to my point. My husband decided, also aware of 20th Century American history, that he also would forgo his plans of collecting Social Security. We do not believe retirement is Scriptural and there is nowhere that we are commanded to collect from our government. Funny, I don't think anyone over 65 in America remembers anything from the 20th Century, except Chappaquiddick and "they paid into it." But I digress. So, nearly five years ago, my husband and I changed our entire course of living. We still pay our taxes, but we changed the dynamics of our income, dramatically, and he left the secular, tradition work force, much to the chagrin of all meddling bystanders, but that only served as confirmation for our decision. Well, this summer, he met with a horrible situation that has rendered him physically challenged. It hasn't changed our income, and it hasn't changed what he believes he is "called to do." What it has changed is his physical ability to get around, easily and it has changed his social status to a person having a disability. My husband and I are both very mathematical and so are most members of our families. But through all of this, somehow our family members have all come to the conclusion that Bob should collect disability. Not to discount the physical trauma that my husband has endured, but the only thing that has changed as far as physical work is concerned, is the fact that I now do the chores alone. My dad did build him an access deck to get back to the work he loves and he did, and our income hasn't changed. So, why would my husband suddenly need a check from the government for me doing his outdoor work? The family has reminded him that "he paid into it" and all of these people that have reminded him, are collecting it themselves, along with enjoying their pensions, investments, and inheritances. If any mathematician considered this equation, they could clearly see, there is absolutely no formula to even combine these variables, much less, justify the solution.
Then Daniel made answer and said to the king, Keep your offerings for yourself, and give your rewards to another; the Prophets of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive