Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Contributing Factors of Road Rage

I didn't blog yesterday, because I was afraid, after the day I had endured, and the topic of the blog, I'd just be too mean, so I decided to get a little rest, think it over and blog about it today. With that being said, I may still have difficulty with tact and diplomacy. I go to town about twice a month and in that excursion, I make several stops and tend to as much business as I can. Yesterday, I had banking to do, feed to buy, a bit of shopping, and make a donation at the local shelter, and go to the DoR. It used to be the DMV, Dept. of Motor Vehicles, but since it really is about revenue, it makes more sense to just have all of our required payments under the big umbrella of Department of Revenue. We purchased a trailer a couple of years ago when we were moving and we finished hauling the last of our belongings when we moved, and it's made several fun trips to auctions and livestock purchases and right now, it's full of hay for the winter, but it still needs current license plates. We got our renewal notice in the mail and I thought, the middle of the month would be the best time to endure the procedures of the DoR. I also discovered that my driver's license could be renewed early and finally have all my "stuff" in order. This is the big ID system change, when I had to take my passport and my marriage license, and proof of my address. And that alone just makes me angry! I mean really angry. My driver's license is now my national ID, I don't care what any political preacher or religious politician says, I went in the national data base for sure, yesterday afternoon. And although that topic alone is blog worthy, it's not my topic. I have a genuine gripe that literally aggravated me beyond words yesterday.
I have been told my entire life to respect my elders, well, if that's what elders expect, then elders need to get respectable.
While I was checking to make sure, I had all my information, I discovered that seniors get special treatment in this driver's license drama. If you are over 65, you don't have to bring all your paperwork to the DoR, simply your current license and proof of address. Now, not only do these seniors get special paperwork privilege, I happen to be privy to 5 examples of blatant disrespect for the rest of us who have to meet the standard of the rules and survive driving with these people that do not. I watched, in line, as these seniors could not read the letters on the eye chart, could not identify the road signs, and needed the person administering the test, to let them know when they were going to "put on the flashing lights." I heard one elderly woman tell the official, "I can't see a thing to the left, that's my bad eye." The official immediately asked when this woman had last been to the eye doctor. I, personally, know two woman that got a special slip from their eye doctor to be excused from taking the eye test. One has done it for years and the other opted for this special plan because she didn't know the signs and failed in her first two attempts to renew. So, are these people ready to react, safely in a split second to avoid traffic problems?
Now, are you ready for the really irritating part. All of these people left the DoR with driver's license in hand. Don't you feel safe, just knowing, for our safety and protection, our government had to see my Passport and Marriage License, and the senior citizens don't even have to see!
So give us knowledge of the number of our days, that we may get a heart of wisdom. a Psalm of King David

No comments:

Blog Archive