Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Retraction . . . Well, Sort of but I'm Not Sure

It has been brought to my attention that Chick-Fil-A claims to have not changed their course of contributions, but the original report came after the negotiations in Chicago for a Chick-Fil-A franchise to be opened. I'm not sure any of these past few days of reports changes what I've said. From everything I've read, Cathy says his donations aren't about political agendas. And Chicago said, he's seeing things their way, so I really think what I said before, it's a bunch of publicity, but the word-crafting is becoming quite polished . . . meanwhile, if history has taught me anything, there's probably some really interesting executive orders in the works or international agreements on the table, now that this chickin issue has pretty much run dry, it's probably about time for a new abortion controversy.
Back to the retraction that isn't a retraction . . . I read that some alderman or someone in Chicago stated that they had come to some sort of agreement with Chick-Fil-A as to some sort of compromise as to the donations made by the Foundation backed by Chick-Fil-A. First, I will make my own retraction. I said I believed a man should be able to spend his own money in any way he sees fit, within the law. Well, when we need tax shelters and foundations, I guess that's enough of a statement of distance that perhaps others do feel invited to weigh in and that their input is justified. Times were simpler when people just lived what they believed and did what was in their power for their fellow man, but I digress. Back to our retraction/unretraction. Once this was reported by the person in Chicago, then Chick-Fil-A released a press statement that said they were not donating money to make any political statements or contribute to an agenda, but . . . It would seem what has actually transpired is both sides see a financially beneficial resolution in choosing their words more carefully. From everything I've read, it's simply a matter of crafting the words more cryptically so everybody gets the revenue they want. It does seem WIN/WIN. I get to blog about it yet again and get higher on the Google search. Chick-Fil-A probably doesn't win any body that was offended the first time around, but if they open another franchise, the company wins and the foundation gets more funding, and Chicago gets to increase the city's revenue with a new business collecting Sales and Use Tax. And who knows what "we the people" will have as a gift in the form of a new executive order?" Words are powerful, even when nobody is sure what was said and what was retracted!
But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. words of Messiah

No comments:

Blog Archive