Monday, October 26, 2009

Murder?

I'm getting just a bit confused on definitions here, so I'll relay the story, as a matter of fact, I'm going to post it right here. It's a very short article.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569572,00.html?test=latestnews

>>>LOS ANGELES — Authorities say a 37-year-old Los Angeles man has been arrested on suspicion of murder for the death of an unborn child believed to be his.
Police said in a press release that Joshua Woodward was arrested Sunday in Los Angeles and is being held on $2 million bail in a county jail.
Police say the arrest came after an investigation on Monday revealed "suspicious circumstances of a miscarriage." Investigators estimate the fetus was in its 13th week.
Police released no information on the mother or the circumstances of the child's death.
The release says Woodward is believed to have ties to Miami and Chicago and detectives are also seeking information in those cities.
Investigators are set to present the case to prosecutors on Tuesday.
A deputy at the jail had no information on an attorney for Woodward.<<<

First, at 13 weeks, I'm not saying I agree, but I thought, legally, it was a choice, not a child. Second, I thought murder charges could only be leveled if the unborn child was statistically viable. Third, $2 million dollar bail? Really? I just can't help but think this is some sort of political spectacle. Although I am sorry for the mother and clearly the child was unprotected and apparently unwanted, but I don't understand the legal logistics when abortion is an option in this gestational time frame. I mean, this would still be considered the first trimester. I am not an advocate for abortion. I don't believe in any invasive medical procedures. Considering the laws of the land. Is this man guilty of murder or practicing medicine without a license?
If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him . . . Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive