Thursday, June 04, 2009

Peace

I couldn't help but notice all the uproar about President Obama's speech in Egypt. I'll be honest about my opinion. I don't think he's a secret Muslim, I think he's open about his desire to be whatever his audience expects . . . When he was campaigning, women in jihab were asked to move out of camera range while he spoke "Christianese," and now he's in Egypt quoting the Koran. In all fairness, I think he wowed AIPAC with a few quotes of Talmud along the way. I have to admit it, the guy is good at giving his crowd what they want to hear. He remains distantly aloof while speaking of relating to them. It's a trait very few have. It goes far beyond charisma, but I digress. He did conclude his speech in Egypt with some very interesting quotes that confirmed a question I raised in one of my books. In reading a commentary at CNN, written by a Muslim, the quotes are as follows:
"Finally, in the spirit of his event, President Obama concluded his remarkable Cairo address by highlighting the individual mandates for peace in each of the major Abrahamic religions.
He said that, "The Holy Quran tells us, 'O mankind! We have ... made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another.' ... The Talmud tells us: 'The whole of the Torah is for the purpose of promoting peace. ...'"
"The Holy Bible tells us, 'Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.' ... The people of the world can live together in peace. We know that is God's vision. Now, that must be our work here on Earth."
I didn't see a clear reference to peace in the Quran quote, but the President apparently believed that to be in the indication . . .
So, if the three major religions all say they espouse PEACE, clearly a piece of the puzzle is being overlooked, politically. I did notice that the Torah was not actually quoted, so I'll share a few quotes I have found.
G~D's promise to Abraham:
And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. Genesis 12:3
G~D's reference to Ishmael:
And the angel of YHVH said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because YHVH hath heard thy affliction. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man . . . Genesis 16
Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation. Genesis 21:18
G~D's instruction to Israel:
And it shall be, when YHVH thy G~D shall have brought thee into the land which he sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not . . .Then beware lest thou forget YHVH, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. Deuteronomy 6:10-12

Messiah's instructions to His followers:
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Matthew 5:17

And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth . . . the Revelation

No comments:

Blog Archive