Monday, June 22, 2009

Can You Imagine . . .

A gay wedding coordinator? I think most of us can picture that image fairly quickly, but now there are wedding coordinators that are advertising to cater gay weddings which are now becoming common place in six states, and making the headlines regularly. As a woman who is "openly straight," I have contemplated this state licensure regarding marriage for some time, now. As a matter of fact, I told my husband if we had it all to do over again, I would not want a state license, but rather simply have a religious ceremony and legally change my name. Marriage is considered a part of our religious beliefs, and I don't like the government in the middle of my beliefs. I raised a few hackles on a cnn comment site with that comment, but you know, I think we really need to quit arguing religion vs. ________________ (fill in blank). I don't think my religious beliefs should be forced on anyone, anymore than secular beliefs or alternative lifestyles be forced into my acceptance. If two men or two women want to spend their lives together and say my beliefs are inappropriate for them, fine, but in this land of freedom, shouldn't I have the same right? When homosexuality came out of the closet, it was termed an alternative lifestyle. Now they want to be married, so what's the alternative portion of the lifestyle? Many of the comments and political tide seem to suggest that religious heterosexuals are the minority alternative lifestyle. An atheist also commented on my comment, which by the way, was only a comment on another comment, but I digress. Anyway, the atheist thought marriage should be strictly through government because they didn't want any religion in their ceremony. Here's my idea. I think the gays should do what they want, because they will anyway, and I am tired of hearing how to wear the kid gloves. I'm fine with acceptance of them choosing their lifestyle, with all due respect, we'll have our different beliefs and hopefully be nice about it, but so far here in America, I'm entitled to have my perspective, even if it does not suit someone else's political agenda. I don't think we heterosexuals have to get into the closet, just because they came out. And as for the atheists and secularists, great get your G~D less license and ceremony, but atheism and secular humanism are belief systems, and a belief system is really very similar to "religion." What I would truly like to see is for all those that want their marriage rights according to their own specs through the state to be able to do that. I would like to have a simple religious ceremony without the "blessing of the state," but the recognition, by the government of my religious marriage. Oh, I know, that would just open the door for someone else to come up with something else to argue about, because after all, this is America!
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive