Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Life As We Know It

Today is the big day . . . Can you believe it, just two years ago, this all began and here it is the finish line? I've been reading the headlines, of course, and participating in a few conversations and forums. So far, my boycotting of the election has resulted in no applause or accolades, whatsoever. I have been referred to as a lemming and been called apathetic, not to mention lectured on my civic duty and national responsibility. Even so far as to be told I had no respect for what our founding fathers stood for. Let me just make a few comments regarding our founding fathers. First when our founding fathers established this nation, it completely disenfranchised the original inhabitants and certainly discounted the potential for someone like Senator Obama. I checked before I began typing. Black men were officially granted the privilege of voting in 1870 with the 15th Amendment, although some states still found ways to disenfranchise them as voters, it was federal law. Women were allowed to vote with the 19th Amendment in 1920, and American Indians were granted citizenship in 1924, allowing them to participate in elections in some states. Many states still argued the decision up into the 1960's. As for true patriots, I do not discount the men that founded this nation and considered other races and ethnicities to be of less value than themselves, but I don't necessarily have to embrace the late coming invitation. But I did for years. This year and I'm not saying it's a permanent decision, but for now, I just didn't want to vote against something or someone. I won't vote until I can vote FOR someone. I know Obama is getting many, many anti-Bush votes. I also realize he's getting many votes simply for the color of his skin. Oprah and Colin Powell have made sure of that. And I can't say I wouldn't feel the same way if a Native American were running. John McCain is clearly getting the anti-Obama vote, and the hang on to the power at any cost, vote. I know that, I heard most of the republicans pundits trashing him through the primaries. Most of his votes are simply because he's the one running in the GOP, and staying home, according to many GOP talking heads is like another vote for Obama.
Well, I'm no lemming, I'm not standing in line for hours to help determine which way we lean as we go off this cliff. And I'm far from apathetic. My latest book, "The Threshold of Technocracy," will be available on line at our website later today.
I am rather curious as to what the talking heads and the comedians are going to do after this election, though. If we have a President Obama, he's not going to be as easy to make fun of as the last one has been, and there's the whole political correct thing to consider, racially. If we have a President Obama, the talking heads will go right on trying to scare their listeners, but if we have a President Obama, they and their listeners will realize their listeners are no longer the powerful party.
Now, if we have a President McCain, I'm guessing there is going to be some question and possible uproar about the results to begin with. Once that is settled and if there is a President McCain, Tina Fey is going to be the busiest person in the nation, and you talk about job security . . . you betcha! But the conservative talking heads will have nothing. They can't trash the new administration and they can't blame the last one. And to go clear back to the Clinton years, well . . . that dog just won't hunt, no more!
I've heard one promise change and one promise reform, but American politics has proven to be business as usual, even through these campaigns. In the economic crisis, both candidates voted the same way, with our money. Change and reform is not a plan, it's just campaign rhetoric. As far as I'm concerned, anyone that spends millions upon millions of dollars of money donated by hard-working financially stressed and strapped Americans to get a job that pays thousands with personal perks, has no business making any major financial decisions.
Yes, life as we know it will be forever changed, but it is sheer arrogance to think America is really going to change the world with this election, either way. After this election, the American administration will continue to cave and cater to powerful expectations, the election results just determine whose expectations will be the most powerful!
Where there is no vision, the people perish . . . a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive