Friday, October 31, 2008

Boycotting the Election

Well, for the first time since the bicentennial year, in which I turned 18, I'm not going to vote. It's like going through withdrawal. I've been saying for months, I'm not about to vote for the lesser of two evils, because even the lesser is still evil. I also made the statement that I thought it was already decided and with the price of gasoline, I wasn't going through the motions. Well gasoline prices have dropped, here I am looking at the last week-end before the elections, and I'm really not going to vote. I do still think it's already decided, so in the spirit of free elections, I have elected to not vote!
Although I am a libertarian at heart, and would love smaller government, I know that party has their own agenda, as well. Besides, the libertarian candidate has had little more media coverage than I have, and I'm not running for anything. Most of America doesn't even know the libertarian candidate's name.
I've been getting the "voter's guides" in my e-mail and frankly some of them I find quite offensive, the religious ones in particular. Vote the Bible, which means exactly what? I can't find a single election in Scripture, except for the occasional casting of lots. My religious beliefs basically amount to this, regarding politics. Mixing politics and religion amounts to idolatry. Let the empire run and pay the taxes they ask for and go on living by G~D's standard, that's what Messiah did. I'd think his followers would want to do the same.
As for war and economy, I can't hear much difference. John McCain said he'd stay in Iraq for as long as "it takes" whatever that means and Obama has changed his stand through the course of his candidacy, so my guess is, Iraq will be the one that decides when they want America out of there and whomever is sitting in the Oval Office will find themselves needing to accommodate the decision of Iraq. Besides, we'll be having to tend to somebody else's business by then, anyway. Now, as to the economy, although we are hearing two different things, semantically speaking, it's basically the same message. The government will need to be funded to determine what needs to be spent. McCain will take from everyone to give to the rich, in the promise of something trickling back down on the poor. Obama will take from everyone to spread it everywhere, except . . . the rich all have the best tax deductions and unless and until someone revamps the IRS, the rich will always have tax shelters. Tax shelters are pretty expensive to maintain, so the poor will just have to settle for the entitlement "spread." This man talking about spreading the wealth does live in million dollar mansion.
I'm just so very glad we aren't electing a President and Vice President like governor and lt. governor. The choices are bad enough, but I know I couldn't take four years of Obama-Palin.
Both candidates and the republican VP have been very clear that they will be expecting a lot out of "we the people" and "we the people" can expect them to be in charge. All I've heard out of the candidates is the cry to the people to either fight or serve, serve or fight . . . and let's not forget pay, Pay, PAY! I'm boycotting the election as a matter of principles and convictions, but even if I weren't, I still have no idea who I would want to see declare victory next Tuesday night!
If they say . . .Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse: My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path: a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive