Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mere Conjecture . . .

I've been thinking for some time now that the GOP was trying to throw this election, for a number of reasons. Today, I'm going to address a few things that could have gone differently if they hoped to win. Oh, and I know, I've been following the various poll reports that say John McCain is closing the gap. Well, to that I would applaud the eleventh hour drama. This should be real good if Pennsylvania is the "deciding" state this time. Between Murtha's comment and Pennsylvania's leaning history, it may involve the Supreme Court again! But I do think the GOP has this under control and has truly tried to throw the election, and if not, then they are just not as smart or strategic as I've given them credit for being. And I know, I read, now that Sarah has hit the national limelight, she's not going to fade back into the land of the midnight sun and six months of darkness. Oh, no, she's tasted the ultimate in attention and she's staying for more. Another big surprise from the GOP. Now back to a winning strategy, if there was to be one.
First, don't let all the pundits trash the one that will ultimately be the candidate. There were pundits praising Huckabee, Thompson, and Romney, but none were jumping for joy over McCain. Second, after a horrible hateful campaign against the fair haired boy of 2000, don't expect the die hard faithfuls to embrace the major contender. When a primary portion of the voting block are fans of an endorsing minister, don't let the candidate renounce his endorsement. Now, when all these bad ideas are already in place, the best solution would be to head for a moderate position, or better yet, combine the strengths of the party, but no, McCain went to the most distant state and found the farthest candidate from moderate and strategic; and chose her. Did this choice truly draw the undecided? I don't see how.
Here's the simple truth. Every republican, James Dobson included, was going to vote for McCain, regardless of what they had said through the primaries, for one simple reason. The republicans are convinced if you stay home on election day, that's the same thing as voting for Obama. I know, I've heard them say it. So, McCain already had the evangelicals, the neocons, and the NRA. Did Sarah gain him any other votes? Again, I don't see how. For the most part, if intelligent women want to be represented by another woman, they want her to be intelligent. For most of the moderates, Sarah Palin is anything but moderate, although really I don't know what she is all about except attention, but I digress. If the GOP wanted to win this, first, McCain would not be the candidate, then the VP would not be Sarah Palin, and there isn't a GOP candidate that would renounce the endorsement of the religious right.
I'm guessing, even if it is close, and I think that is just for dramatic effect, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say, even if it is close, the GOP doesn't want victory in 2008. I think the GOP has the brightest strategists in politics and these candidates and publicity statements are not the product of intellectual strategists, that is if winning is the objective!
The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fools. Ecclesiastes of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive