Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm Back and Things Appear About the Same . . .

I've been celebrating Sukkot, or Feast of Tabernacles. I love it. Religious camping! So, I've not been keeping up with radio or computer or anything to speak of for the past week, and it seems that things are about where I left off, anyway. I see the money gods on Wall Street are still needing to be propped up. Our present legislators and administration seems all too willing to sacrifice the offerings of "we the people." Our national politics and economy is a lot like a soap opera. You can miss a week or two and tune back into the same ol' same ol'. Now that I mention it, I wonder just how much influence prime time soaps have had on American politics. I mean, we've all lived "Dallas" for the last 8 years, even somebody shot, but it wasn't JR and we all know who did it, because it was an accident and everything is "off limits" when it comes to questioning Cheney! It does seem kind of odd, when I think about it and now with Sarah Palin in the mix, I keep thinking about that other soap in the early 90's, Northern Exposure. I didn't watch it, but I remember the bits and pieces. No wonder I haven't missed TV in 10 years, I still read the news. Who needs prime time programming when we have political headlines?
I do think, I'm not predicting, just observing. I think Obama will be our next president, and I think the republican party has promised Sarah the moon in 2012. My opinion is based on a few facts I've noticed. I've already blogged several times that the republicans truly do want to dump this mess for a bit. It hasn't even taken 2 years to have their constituents hollering about this Democratic Congress . . . even though it was a Republican Congress for 12 years prior. The American memory is amazingly short. I'm watching the revisionists revise right before our eyes. This next president cannot make the necessary changes without one of two things happening. One, we are too far gone to fix and he simply gets to be the Captain of this sinking ship, or two, he makes serious changes that will result in losing his popularity. Back to Sarah for a minute. I'm sure someone high up in the party has told her two things. One, nobody knew who Obama was in '04 and now look at him. And two, we've already aired her dirty laundry and her people love her. The pundits have already done the damage to McCain back before the primaries and that brings me to my last observation that makes me think Obama is in. The pundits and their accusations regarding the media. I guess TV media is liberal and Talk Radio media is primarily conservative or neoconservative. Doesn't Ted Turner own most of Montana? And wasn't Rush's new contract for $400M? The real financial power in this country is in broadcasting and so . . . the "liberal visual media" and the "conservative talk media" need each other and need viewers and listeners; and to maintain an audience, they need material. Obama is their man on both counts. The "liberal media" can continue to follow him like groupies and the "talk media" can circle and continue to pick like vultures. From night time soaps to talk radio to news headlines, and infomercials, media feeds and feeds off of our consuming society.
But where are thy gods that thou hast made thee? let them arise, if they can save thee in the time of thy trouble: a Prophet of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive