Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Why Are We So Mean?

I'm mentioning several topics that truly have very little if anything in common, except the lack of sagacity. I heard an interesting comment from Dr. Bill this morning that really concerned me. He apparently has a new puppy that doesn't know the difference between a chair leg and chew toy and he wanted help in "training" the dog. A caller gave some tried and usually true advice. To break a puppy from chewing on something, just put lemon juice or pepper sauce on the item and when he gets a bitter or sour or hot scent, usually scent will do it, but sometimes taste, then the puppy leaves it alone, as it is no longer desireable. So, Dr. Bill, the former Secretary of Education had difficulty with this concept. He first ask why you couldn't just put pepper sauce on the puppy's nose. I guess the good Dr. thought the puppy would leave the chair leg alone if he were in distress all the time. He was already leaning toward using a muzzle when the dog was unsupervised. He then, on the air, gave comment to one of the strangest concepts I ever heard. He mentioned pepper sauce in the muzzle. To which his assistant used the term cruel and unusual, and then of course the glib Abu Ghraib comments commenced.
Then there was the man that got fired from IBM at the age of 55 with 19 years seniority for surfing the web and leaving his computer logged on in some adult chatroom, and some mature co-worker tattled. I have to appreciate this man's approach. He, of course, is suing and I say good for him, which I don't usually, but he's a veteran with post traumatic stress and his unseemly chat helps his stress level, which has resulted in rendering him a sex addict, so he's claiming a disability. Now, I truly believe most people that claim disability are simply lazy and looking for a free ride, but this is just flat original and that sort of creativity deserves at least, to be heard. He also cited the incident in which two co-workers were actually caught in the act, not virtual, and they were merely transferred, which does indicate the big corporate giant was looking to down size the pension role.
And while I am on the taboo subject of sexual issues in the news, we of course have the civil union "break through" in New Jersey. I wonder if their last governor was instrumental in that legislation. I happened to be in New Jersey the day he announced his double life, with his wife at his side. So now, we have gay couples that want to be "married" and have children. And we have heterosexual couples that choose to live together and raise their children. Before long, we married heterosexuals will be the minority. I don't want any amendments about marriage in the constitution, I think, ultimately, I'll be treated better as a minority. Can you imagine, in a few years, the office memo about a mandatory tolerance seminar at corporate headquarters? Attention all employees and "associates;" a forty something white man, married, with a homemaking wife has joined our company. We will address proper and improper terms for addressing this type of individual. Remember - Tolerance!
Now, I haven't mentioned Anna Nicole Smith, because frankly I've had difficulty sorting this out, and I'm not talking about the court battles. I don't agree with a great deal of her lifestyle, but there are a few things being judged, that I just don't understand. She was 26 and married a very wealthy 89 year old man. Okay, unusual, but not unheard of. He was out and about and making his own decisions. Does anyone think he thought he would outlive her? And why is she judged for marrying him? I've seen nurses marry elderly wealthy patients. How many women have married for financial security? Please . . . She probably could have had several millions just as a "companion." And in all these "gentlemen" stepping forward, now, that she can't dispute their claims, no one has ever claimed to have been with her through the time of her marriage. I personally have a mother that is a member of the religious right and a staunch republican that has always espoused the concept of marriage being "the right thing to do" in matters of fornication. She didn't trap him with a pregnancy! And another thing, she was widowed, I, on the other hand divorced my much older husband, although the age difference wasn't so pronounced. Yes, she is famous for being infamous, but she is dead, and I just don't understand the so-called "righteous indignation" that comes across as just pure and mean gossip.
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone

No comments:

Blog Archive