Monday, February 05, 2007

Business in This 21st Century

Wow, it's time for a short break from the a-political observance of politics. Don't worry, I'll be back on politics tomorrow, but today I just have to share a good yet confusing experience. Online, I found a wonderful Brother monochrome printer for sale at Office Depot for a really great price. We were going to be in town later that day, so I called to see if the Office Depot nearby had one in stock. A very courteous and helpful young man answered the phone and told me that they certainly did have it in stock, but . . . if I purchased the printer in the store, I would have to pay $30.00 more, but would be eligible for a $20.00 mail-in rebate. Well, I'm not a math major, but I quickly figured this product would cost an additional $10.00 if I purchased it in the store, and an 8 week wait on my $20.00. In addition to the $10.00 savings, I would also be saving the price of gasoline and would be receiving free shipping if I ordered online. I thanked him for his help, but asked how this made good business sense for Office Depot and his job security. Again, his response was courteous, but he didn't know and thanked me for calling Office Depot. So, being the frugal individual that I am and considering my aversion to shopping, I ordered online. Now, I received an order confirmation stating the shipment would arrive the following day. The next day, we got a phone call. The young man attempting to make the delivery said he couldn't find us, the printer was in the store in the nearby town and he would attempt to deliver it again Monday. That's when I just had to know how this was making sense. Obviously, Office Depot was paying someone by the hour and this was turning into a monumental event. I called their toll free number, so that means the company paid for my time in the prompts, on hold, and through the entire conversation with yet another very courteous individual that was going to do everything they could to make me a satisfied customer. I was then transferred to the store nearby, discussed this with the person that answered the phone and the delivery person. They immediately determined that they would make a second attempt to deliver the product that same day. By then, I just felt like a demanding customer that was making everyone's life miserable. Within the hour, a young man was at the door with my printer in hand. He handed it to my husband and told us to have a nice day, sorry for the inconvenience. Now, through this entire situation, everyone at Office Depot was courteous and efficient. But no one ever addressed the real reason I had called. I had a question that no one ever answered. Every time I spoke with any of them, I asked how this was good for business. How was it, that their extra effort and manpower made it possible to market the product at a lower price? Why do customers that are willing to spend their gasoline and time to come to the store, have to pay extra for the product? You know, nobody ever answered that question. I really liked speaking with every single Office Depot employee that I dealt with, but how long will they be there at the store? How long will the store be there? It was so nice to be treated as a customer rather than a consumer, but I just don't understand how this method of doing business will succeed and I certainly don't understand how this company will be able to maintain it's current level of employees if they are going to reward customers to not come to the store.
If only you will give ear to me, I will give you the price . . .

No comments:

Blog Archive