Thursday, February 08, 2007

Insane or Criminal or Simply One Bad and Regrettable Decision?

I guess we've all read or heard about the astronaut that "lost it." It's one of those stories that is just difficult to get past. It's sad and it's bizarre, and it just seems to have some pieces missing, yet the police and prosecution seem sure of her intentions and thoughts, even though their suspicions did not occur. I mentioned this particular issue, though, not to continue to beat this event to death, but rather to address my concern about the need to be evaluated and the fact that NASA is now considering some sort of ongoing astronaut evaluation, due to this isolated incident. I served for 10 years as a volunteer chaplain in a state mental facility. I maintained my volunteer status for two very important reasons. One, the state couldn't tell me what to say and not say, if I wasn't on the payroll and second, the mental health programs of this country are more demeaning than the prison system and I couldn't begin to live with myself, if I were paid to do such a reprehensible thing to other human beings, so I brought them the Good News, free of charge. I've always been intrigued by the personal lives of those that perform this task of stealing freedom, indefinitely, as they clearly do not manage their own lives in an exempliary manner and usually there is significant family dysfunction as well. The money they make to be the dream killers they are, and so often, they have their religious views to rationalize what they do, disgusts me beyond words. I have to be careful too, because Scripture says, if we take delight in the judgment that G~d brings upon them, He will relent, and frankly, I just don't want that to happen.
I have been thinking a great deal and praying for this Lisa Nowak. What she did defies explanation. I personally believe, she's already rethought every bit of this tragic event, and regrets it deeply. But I noticed as I read the report, if she is treated as a criminal, her chances of regaining some sort of normalcy and at least treated with some dignity will be so much greater than if she is placed into some sort of mental treatment facility. You see, in the prison system, there is a date of release and often even an early release for good behavior. In the mental health system, there is no date of release and the subjective decision is evasively arbitrary, yet contained and maintained within the system itself. The mental health system doesn't believe in rehabilitation, just ongoing evaluations and treatment. I can't tell you the number of times these workers have told me "there's just no changing this or that." "Once a whatever, always a whatever." These people are paid to do a job they don't believe produces results, so they simply kill the dreams, prevent death, and disallow life and hope. In the court system, there are hearings, bonds, trials, juries, and a date of release if found guilty. I hope and pray, for her sake, she simply faces the charges before a fair and just judge and gets the opportunity to rebuild her life, rather than being subjected to evaluation and undefined confinement by those who cannot manage their own lives.
He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity . . .

No comments:

Blog Archive