Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Speaking Directly - The Straight Scoop

Well, I watched the State of the Union Address last evening and I realized, I have been harsh. As I sat watching our President, I thought, I don't think he should be president, but he would just be a scream at a bar or a party. I really think our President has a colloquial charm about him and probably a humorous side. As I listened to his domestic policies, I thought of the scene in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas in which Charles Durning sang and danced. Now, come on, all cynicism aside, can't you just see President Bush doing a great impression of Durning as he "danced a little side-step?" As I listened to him discuss our borders and offering guest worker status, I realized, and so should the rest of America. Protecting our borders isn't about guarding the entrance, it's about monitoring those that might exit. I receive, on an average, of 20 e-mails a week about illegal immigrants and I don't think the long list of addressees in the "forward" have any clue that their ancestors were also once immigrants, regardless of their blue blood pedigrees and "fascinating" genealogies. Not to mention, someone by now, should be realizing the majority of our nation seems willing to go into captivity and call it security. I've been hard on the genealogists, but in all fairness, perhaps some ancestor was the last productive member of many American families, who knows . . . And I will be sending Mr. Twain's War Prayer to everyone that sends me some pro-Iraq war forward, and I will send it to every name on the address line from the forward before. I haven't known how to respond to those annoying pro-war forwards, as they primarily come from very non-military personnel. I am not pro-war and unlike most of Senate, I was never for the war in Iraq, and I was under the impression until last fall that the war in Afghanistan was over in '01. Now I did hear that our President mentioned Hezbollah in Lebanon, again in his speech. He never mentioned whether they are back on his terrorist list and would consider actually helping Israel next time, or just using a recognized term to rally a segue in the "new" Iraq plan. Maybe Americans were listening last night better than they were in October of '04. This medical concern of our politicians isn't really about health, it's about getting more monitoring devices into and onto the citizens. Remember ancient American history, before the 1970's? Remember how they used to test medication and cosmetics and various other products on the animals, before approval for use on humans? Well, now they've been testing RFID tags (micro-chips) in the animals . . . can anyone guess who or what will be next? Our fearless leader already announced the FDA approval before the '04 elections, and all these "mark of the beast, fearing religious right-wingers" elected him anyway. Did you hear we have something like 7 million new jobs created in the past so many years? Of course, there was no mention of the huge percentage of Ford Motor Company that has become obsolete and the thousands of jobs no longer in existence. I don't know where all these new jobs are, real estate is slowing down, retailers haven't exactly made record sales, and I've been reading that construction is slowing down. Isn't everything sold in Wal-mart manufactured in China? Well contractors are needed in Iraq, and I hear the pay is really great, if you can stay alive until payday.
Okay, putting my cynicism away again, let's get back to a kinder, gentler blog. What did we learn last night? We learned that our President will be making the same sort of decisions he's been making for the last 6 years and whatever happens in the next two years, both parties will have someone else to blame. The republicans can complain about Congress being uncooperative with the administration. And the democrats can complain that nothing will change without a change in the administration. We learned, still, nobody knows where the buck stops . . .
But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

No comments:

Blog Archive