Monday, January 29, 2007

The Pundits' Redundance

In the winter, I awaken to News Talk radio for two very important reasons. One, the windows are all closed and I can't hear the rooster crow, and two, I just can't lay there very long and listen to the endless nitpicking of a given topic, so it's a great motivator to get up. I have discovered there are a few hosts that do give some valid information with their opinions; however. And I have to admit, I have a morbid curiosity to hear some of this Conservative News/Talk radio in small doses. I haven't yet ascertained whether the listeners are actually faithful fans or merely programmed, or perhaps it's simply a matter of money and the capitalists like the opinions that are espoused. And today, I'm going to just give my nitpicky opinion. Last night on some talk show, I heard a recording of Hillary Clinton singing the Star Spangled Banner. This was not a solo, just in the group where she was speaking and unfortunately her mic was already keyed. Then this morning I heard it twice within 30 minutes. Now here's the deal. In all the times this was played, the hosts felt compelled to make some sort of inference or inuendo about her singing. Hillary wasn't auditioning for a solo at Carnegie Hall. I'm guessing she's aware that her singing voice is certainly not her long suit, but what's wrong with these people that they have to make fun of someone? And what would the comments have been, and how would the dissection have occurred if she hadn't joined the group in singing the Star Spangled Banner? The more conservative talk radio I hear, the more I'm beginning to wonder if several of these hosts were tormented by a bully in the 3rd grade, or perhaps they were the bullies in the 3rd grade. Or was potty training just too traumatic? How can civilized individuals present themselves to be politically knowledgeable and want to be taken seriously when they stoop to this sort of crude sophomoric behavior? And how can such a large listening audience revel in this sort of thing? I used to tell my children this sort of behavior was "rude, crude, and socially unacceptable." And now, it's called Conservative News Talk Radio.
. . . and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool. Where there is much talk there will be no end to sin . . .

No comments:

Blog Archive