Monday, May 02, 2005

What is the Law Regarding Cold Feet?

Well, here we are, America making national headlines out of what, forty years ago, would have been beauty shop gossip. Now, granted, we all have an opinion of how we would have better handled the situation, and I am sure many opinions are much more responsible than Jennifer’s choice, but all of us with opinions weren’t in her shoes. But, I am really getting concerned about the fact that meddling expenses may be entitled to reimbursement and adults are no longer free to leave town if they choose. The laws are getting interesting. It wasn’t so long ago that a missing persons report couldn’t even be filed on an adult for 48 hours. And I don’t know a person alive that doesn’t know somebody that pulled some sort of questionable stunt regarding marriage. Remember an old Dick Van Dyke Show, in which Laura finally admitted she had lied about her age on the marriage license application? What would we do with the “likes of her” now? I did find it ironic in this woman’s situation, that in running out on a marriage, she went to the “marriage capital” of the country; Las Vegas. So, is this a matter of cold feet? Did she want to see how simple an elopement in Vegas was compared to a guest list of 600 with 14 attendants? I hear all the talk about her potential problems in what she did and I think, sure, this wasn’t a stable move, but . . . When I read Friday that she called from New Mexico and finally told the truth or the version they are accepting, there were no charges expected from the Albuquerque police, I thought ok, she’s really only been missing 3 days, less than a full day after a missing person’s official filing. Once again, not stable, her relationship is probably in jeopardy, but . . . The city is considering billing or suing for searching costs, when a great deal of the manpower was volunteers? Now, some prosecutor in Georgia wants to see if she broke a law? With all these questions in the air, now, I have a few. I am not in any way attempting to rationalize her behavior, but she’s not the only one that I am having trouble understanding.
With this frantic search, and she is home and alive, what would have been better results? and don’t forget, she’s the one that made the call, no one found her!
I remember cold feet being mentioned right away, so are city and county government now entitled to recoup funds they claim were used when there was no reason to begin the search? Is it now going to be illegal to lie to your boyfriend? Is it going to be illegal in Georgia to lie in another state? You do know, this will help the proponents of the National ID agenda, and for that I will say, she has done her part to ruin it for everyone else, but other than that . . . Men have gone to the store for cigarettes and never come back, women have left husbands, lock, stock and barrel with no note. And before all our security programs, would we have considered after finding someone alive and unharmed, to find a way to “book ’em?”
It is an honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you raised me, because you have taken the words right out of my mouth!

But, really, I think the majority wants all of the scary things that are coming to pass 'for our safety.'

I'm back into blogger for now...enjoyed the post.

Blog Archive