Wednesday, May 18, 2005

No Free Lunch!

Anyone that still believes there is no free lunch has never been to St. Joseph, MO or probably countless other American inner cities that are getting huge government grants for charity. As a property owner and tax payer, I'm exhausted. You see, we are among the Americans that are still trying to achieve and contribute, [the true minority] while also showing compassion and charity, and you know, the demands are really intense from both directions. As I catered, and I do mean catered, to the line at the food kitchen today, I realized there is a real problem in our country. Many people have just decided they will never contribute, only receive. I am absolutely shocked and amazed at the number of able bodied people that expect a hand-out and don't find any shame in that. I am also shocked at the amount of food that isn't eaten, but gets scraped into the garbage, at the FREE food kitchen. And the recipients make no bones about it, of course neither do those in administration. As we have all become aware, there is no shame in begging any more, it's big business and even bigger government administration. This administration and beggar relationship is much more secure than company/union ever was. And for those of us who believe we should help those that are less privileged, just who has defined privileged or under privileged? Is someone that doesn't pay taxes or maintain property, yet has a warm dry place to live and three meals a day served to them, without having to go to the market or wash a dish really less privileged? Couldn't all this effort and expense actually be used to help children or people that are really disabled? As I saw those people go through the line today, demanding, yes demanding certain desserts or fuller beverages, etc., I thought to myself, they don't have to pay an increased property assessment, why they don't even have to buy outrageously priced gasoline for a mower. And, when it's all said and done, they get to cash a monthly check and ask me for a receipt on their rent, because renters can file short form and recieve a credit. When was the last time a married couple with a mortgage had that privilege? No Free Lunch! is a cliche that is well on it's way to retirement, but undoubtedly there will be no pension and no government subsidy.
the sluggard buries his hand in the dish; he is too lazy to bring it back to his mouth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...does this mean you're not bringing dinner to me now?

I'm kidding. I've never been to a food kitchen, but I know I'd have a real hard time keeping a birdles tongue when someone complained. Maybe you could print this entry, with smaller words, and larger font, and tape it up where they get their drinks....

What is the answer? Maybe with all the govt grants for the free food, the people who are at the kitchen should be responsible for cooking it and cleaning it up. Oh, to be young and idealistic...

I'd have a very difficult time continuing my service there.

Anonymous said...

Do you really believe that St. Joseph, Missouri is so different than the rest of the nation? It is not...take off your rose colored glasses, girlfriend! Go to any public school in the nation and see how much food is tossed daily. Same for most restaurants and other food serving facilities!

Blog Archive