Tuesday, May 17, 2005

What???

Sometimes I hear things that just seem too outlandish for the news, and then I remember, I live in America. Without free speech and freedom of the press, I wouldn't be writing this. And I certainly don't want to be monitored and censored, but journalists and politicians have really outdone themselves this week. When I read that Dr. Rice had referred to the Koran with the adjective "holy," I tried to check it out, but never found any tangible print. So, then one must begin to sort the red and blue herrings. Did somebody throw that out there to get the heat off of the Newsweek article. I mean really, where are the religious right? Can you believe that someone in America in national politics called another religion's book holy and the religious right did nothing? So, I'm thinking, maybe that "holy" adjective wasn't used after all. And I just don't know what Newsweek was thinking. Have they forgotten that when the fundamentalists of another religion get angry, decapitations take place? If they are angry at America's politicians, fine, write an article about that, blog if they have to! But America's journalists and photographers need to remember, there are other people that will pay the price, so get the story straight. Retractions just don't have the same power that headlines do.
Now, back to the politicians and the event. I actually heard a quote from White House Press Secretary, Scott McClellan, on a republican radio station use the adjective "holy" in referring to the Muslim book. I can't believe that, I don't want to believe that. When was the last time any of the "persons of faith" at the White House even referred to the Bible as Holy? Just what is the faith of our leaders?
And as far as Newsweek goes, apparently they didn't get far enough in the story to consider the ramifications of such an act on the plumbing. I do not know the dimensions of the Koran, but I really don't think a Newsweek would flush.

But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy I Peter 1:15, 16 Holy Bible

No comments:

Blog Archive