Thursday, December 24, 2009

Putting the Christ in Christmas

Just how does one do that these days? I don't see the spiritual significance of a tree decked with silver and gold as mentioned in Jeremiah 10:3,4. That particular tradition obviously predates the birth of Messiah and was expressly forbidden for G~D's people. As for Santa, let's see, someone dressed in red and black arriving by means of a place of fire and takes the focus off of Messiah. In the words of the church lady on SNL, "Could it be . . . satan?" And look, if you move the "N" from the middle of the word "Santa" and tack it on the end . . . So, even though I don't believe Messiah or Christ as He is more often referred to, was born in December. Rather I should say, considering Israel is in about the same latitude as my own state, I don't think shepherds were out in the field by night in December, but since we're not actually told the date, today is as good as any. So, in honor of putting the Christ in Christmas, I've baked a wonderful spice cake, home made, I might add, and we'll be singing Happy Birthday soon. We'll not exchange gifts, it's not anyone else's birthday. We'll listen to Handel's Messiah, eat some birthday cake and well, regardless of the actual date, it's my little way of keeping Christ in Christmas.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. the Christmas passage in Luke 2

No comments:

Blog Archive