Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Happy Holidays ?

This year marks a particularly strange time in American history. I don't think there is anyone still alive that hasn't bought into some belief of entitlement from the US Government and I don't think there are too many people that aren't affected or related to someone affected by the slowing job market. Is there anyone that isn't affected by tomorrow's value of today's investment? If you haven't noticed an increase in prices, you've not been to the store in quite some time. With all these reasons for "merriment," I've simply been underwhelmed at the concerns and solutions of this year's Yule Tide Season. First, we have the atheists wanting to make their statement about the holidays, and truth be told, there are more Christmas traditions from pagan beliefs than the Bible . . . like all of them. So, the atheists want the Winter Solstice back without religion. The Christians want everyone to think Jesus is the Reason for the Season, as they spend money and tell their kids to be good, for Santa to come. Then of course, there is Hanukkah, and the concern of where to include a Menorah in the politically correct festivities. I read something today that I found sad. The source for the article I was reading stated stealing a Menorah is considered anti-Semitic, but stealing a baby Jesus is a prank. I, personally, think stealing is anti-social for all people and beliefs. Well, I found the latest solution for this concern. That's right, for outdoor Nativity Scenes or the Creche' as they are now called, a GPS transmitter in the baby Jesus. Since 3 letter initials have become my pet peeve, I had to stop and think this deal through. If Jesus is the Reason for the Season, and Christians truly believe this is G~D's holiday to celebrate, wouldn't HE be watching over all the baby Jesuses? I wonder what G~D thinks of being replaced by GPS? And if Santa knows who has been naughty and nice, why can't he find these baby Jesus thieves? I just don't understand why this holiday must continue to "save" the consumerism and be a point of contention amidst varying belief systems. Do the Christians really believe the lack of enthusiasm for Christmas is persecution? Do the Jews truly believe vandalism is always anti-Semitic? I'm guessing some people that have stolen a Menorah don't know a Menorah from any other holiday decoration. And as for the atheists, since I do believe in G~D, I am more than willing to let them have their Winter Solstice celebration and I don't care to listen to them whine about everyone else's celebrations. For those of us that don't celebrate the Winter Solstice in it's various religious and non religious forms, do we have to have UN-Happy Holidays? Does the Winter Solstice celebration actually include griping about the other celebrations? What a tradition that must be! We could simply try being generous and maybe even a bit kinder this time of year, and here's a crazy idea . . . we could try avoiding the points of contention.
If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. New Testament

No comments:

Blog Archive