Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Colloquial Charm of Rude Americans

I think I have finally happened on to a bit of truth that has eluded me for years. We've tended as a nation to be somewhat offended that other countries consider Americans to be rude. I think we Americans have chosen to use the term, stress, to explain our own American reaction to rude Americans! I think rudeness in close proximity accounts for the high level of stress, and the holidays exemplify my point. The holidays are stressful because we go out of our way to surround ourselves with people we wouldn't ordinarily choose to spend a great deal of time with, for what becomes obvious reasons, once we are all gathered. And then there are the office parties, etc. in which we must stress just a bit over whether or not the last round of gossip will be broadcast by someone that enjoys just a bit too much festive imbibing. There are then the quality discussions that possess just a bit more emotion and passion than other times of the year because our society is inundated with pictures and movies and advertisements of what "should transpire" in holiday celebration. Well, for the most part, we've all tried so much for so long, we've only managed to take the FUN out of dysFUNction. Americans are for the most part, rude. And if they are being polite, it's probably because they are gathering their info for the next conversation they'll be having with someone else. My husband and I celebrate Hanukkah and on December 25, Messiah's birthday. Christmas trees and Santa are not part of our celebration and since my daughter has held me to account for anything she deems dishonest from her childhood, I refuse to participate in lying to my grandchildren. But like most grandparents, I'll tolerate just about anything to spend a little time with the grandkids. And you know in your heart of hearts, you cherish that time with them, because they are going to grow up and become adults, in which they will play into the stressed and stressful game we call family life . . . Besides, our family each has their own personal secrets and circumstances that are simply not the business of other family members, you know, like siblings and offspring, so we don't go in for the big generational family gatherings, much less aunts, uncles, and cousins from out of town! We did that for my Grandma's 90th birthday and about an hour was plenty of quality family time. We all exchanged the usual chit chat, "how's it going," "my your kids/grandkids have really grown" and then take tons of pictures so we all have a record of having gathered in the same location in this century and go on with life. I asked my uncle how he'd been, he answered, we had a moment of awkward silence, then I said, "well, good to see you." He asked me if that's it? . . . see each other every 20 years and make two minutes of small talk? I said, "Yes, I think that's it!" It's absolutely amazing how many traits must be genetic when you watch a herd of humans that are blood related without being lifestyle connected and conveniently, geographically located. We live over 200 miles from any of the family that is speaking to us and I am apparently the hostess with the leastest. The last time my mom was here, she sat in their truck for several hours reading, snoozing, and listening to the radio. Our daughter came as close to dark as possible on a Friday and planned to leave on Sunday and spent her time here, text messaging. So, since our family all gathered for Grandma's big birthday, there was really no need to do that for Jesus's. Now that we've all survived another year of celebrating stress, I thought about doing some introspection and soul searching as to making some personal social improvements. Although, I think I'm just a rude enough American, to enjoy the fact, I'm not popular!
A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive